The Attack

Valkyrie

Something pulled me out of my sleep. I didn't know what, but it had me panting. As my mind calmed down, I curled up closer to Wyatt. His arms wrapped around me, and he planted a gentle kiss on my shoulder. "Go back to sleep, Darling."

"Something feels wrong."

"It's just a dream. Everything is okay. I'm here," he told me, running his hand along my outer thigh.

'Kassandra?' I called to her.

'Sleeping, Val. Shh.' Her voice was thicker than usual.

'Is everything okay?'

'Hmm... I don't know. I'm too tired. And you need to sleep for the pup. So, please. Try not to worry. Mate is here. Anthony is next door. Guards are on the floor.' I felt her stretch a little and rollover.

'Anthony's passed out drunk, and who knows how effective the guards are after that party?' I reminded her.

'Attacks are very sobering.' She told me.

'Sure.' I nodded and turned so my face was buried in Wyatt's chest. Inhaling deeply, his scent calmed me down- for only a moment. Then I heard it. The warriors were panicked, and alarms were sounded.

It jolted Wyatt awake, and he grabbed his pants off the floor. "You stay here. You hear me?" He asked.

"Let me help," I grabbed some shorts and a shirt that was likely dirty off the floor and threw them on.

"No. At least not until I know what it is. You stay here and don't let anyone in." He left and slammed the door behind him. I heard him and Anthony barking orders at various people. Guess Kassandra was right. Attacks were sobering. Going to the window, I scanned the large field. What was it? Who was it?

'Val, you cannot go out there. If we have to shift or fight, we could lose the pup.' Kassandra wouldn't let me move. She locked my legs in place.

'Fine. As long as everyone is okay.' She nodded her agreement, and I watched the bonds in my mind. None of them had snapped... yet.

'The warriors here are highly trained. They will be okay.' Kassandra said and encouraged me to try to lay back down.

'So I just lay down while they are fighting?' This idea horrified me.

'This time, yes.' She was getting annoyed with me, and I wished I had my medication to shut her up.

Gale opened the door and came in. "Are you okay?" I asked her.

"More worried about you." She said, and we sat on the bed together.

"I am pissed off that Kassandra thinks it's unsafe to go fight," I told her. "But otherwise, I'm fine."

"There are a bunch of guards on the floor, but none are good enough to keep you safe. So I'll sit this one out and guard you instead, just in case," Great, now I have my own personal guards in my room. That is even better.

"Do you know what it is?"

"Guessing someone took the party as a good opening. They don't know that security is twice as high for any party. It'll be over quick."

Now Will was at the door. Gale saw her dad come in, and Kassandra felt better with Randolph there. "Where's mom?"

"Our safe room. I came to make sure you two get in one."

"That bad?" Gale asked her father. The way she said it made me wonder how often this happens.

"Bad enough that I'm concerned they might take one of you." He said.