Chapter 7 : The Market

Of course, I only trusted Milli so I carefully sneaked off with her and the knight probably did not care about me because of my reputation, so it didn't bother him to look for me.

After asking a few commoners, I found out that a shop in the dark alleyway sold some foreign weapons, which were cheap but of good quality.

I started heading that way with Mili.

"Miss, I don't understand what you want but this is very dangerous! We don't even have a knight with us if something bad happens then..."

"Don't worry Milli, we both are wearing commoner clothes so I don't think anyone would do something to us. Just trust me with this." I said, trying to persuade her.

I entered a shop to see a man in his fifties staring at me. He then reluctantly showed me some weapons.

A five year old wanting to buy something for him must have been weird to him, but I needed him for some advice so I asked.

"Sir, I wish to buy a weapon to gift my brother as he is interested in them. But he is just 6 years old, and is very thin and a bit fragile, just like me. Can you please show me some weapons that will be suitable for him?" I asked him, and his face turned out into a more understanding emotion.

"Of course!" he answered,

"If he wants to learn at such a young age then maybe you should take a look at the daggers here. They are of light weight but very sharp, enough to disarm a large number of people if handled with care."

I smiled, so now I had to lie to get myself weapons because I was just a small girl. But it worked thankfully.

I started walking toward the section where daggers were kept, and came across a pair which were very light and a bit small, enough for me to handle and could easily be hidden in clothes. They both had some sky blue gem attached to it, and were also beautiful.

"Good choice" I heard the owner saying, "they are very sharp and would be easy for your brother to use, he will be very happy with your present." he exclaimed.

So, I paid for them and hid them in the bag Milli was carrying. She was too scared to question me right now as we passed through the alley.

Present for my brother huh? I thought

But to get him on my side, maybe I could buy a present for him.

As per the story, Alexander was particularly interested in the history of the empire. In fact, he ended up being close to Astria because she was also interested in the subject due to the origins of her 'light magic', which was quite legendary, and the last light magic user was actually the 5th Saintess nearly 200 years ago.

By now, even I was familiar enough with the topics the history books covered in our library. The topic of particularly the 'Saintess' was not descriptively mentioned in the books present in our house.

So, I went to the bookstore and asked the owner to get me a book on that topic. He got me some, and I carefully selected 2 of them which I thought would be enough to peak his interest.

I paid for them and finally returned back to the carriage with Milli.

"Miss, did you really intend to give the young master these gifts? He has started his training but he already has enough weapons to train with. I don't think he will like that." She whispered.

"I do not intend to give the daggers to him, Milli. They are for me, because I wish to learn how to defend myself. As for the books, I believe my brother will like them and forgive me for how I treated him. It is not enough, but hopefully he will accept my apology."

"Miss! This is so kind of you! But how are you going to learn to use the daggers? If someone finds out, they will think of you as very unlady-like."

"I thank you for your concern Milli, but I believe my life is more important than mere rumors spread by people who like to gossip. But as for now, I wish to learn them secretly so I request you to not mention this to anyone please." I replied in an assertive tone and Milli nodded her head implying she agrees with me.