Chapter 15 : A Family stays together

...

"How dare you disrespect my daughter! She is the crown prince's fiance!" mother speaks and anger is evident in her voice

"Guards! Arrest her and throw her out of our estate! She no longer works here! She has disrespected the Stanford and Royal family." she says with a commanding tone

As soon as the Guards move closer to them Astria starts crying more and pleading with them to not harm her sick mother. They look a bit confused about what to do because they don't want to hurt a child.

"How dare you try to remove me and my daughter you filth!" Rienne shouts as she charges at my mother.

But before she can, everything stops.

"SILENCE"

I shout as I make a force field in front of us. She bangs her head in it and falls down.

How dare she try to hurt MY mother!

Suddenly everything around us starts to freeze and turns cold as I speak in the cold aura surrounding me.

"You Rienne Seymour have crossed your limit today. You have not only disrespected the future Duke but also tried to harm MY mother, the legitimate DUCHESS of this estate! You have also insulted the Stanford Dukedom and you will pay for it."

No one speaks as I continue, they look scared.

"Guards! I command you to arrest this filthy woman and throw her in the basement downstairs. As for Astria, she is innocent so please lead her to the guest room and ensure that she stays there until the Duke returns. If what this woman says is the truth, then Astria indeed is a part of this family, but this woman is not. She is a commoner who dared to insult a noble family and harm the Duchess. She will be punished and tried in court for her crimes.

Lastly, I ask my mother if she agrees with my actions as she is the one who has the right to take the decision as the Duchess. Till then, we must wait for the Duke to return." 

I say as everyone nods.

"You have to control your anger and magic Eleanor" Orion warns me as I unfreeze the surroundings.

Everyone looks shocked. Did I just blow my cover?

"No, it can be seen as accidental magic as it was triggered by your anger" Orion says assuring me

Oof! I sigh in relief

After regaining her composure after seeing how powerful my 'accidental' magic is my mother finally replies,

"My daughter is right. Do what she says until the Duke returns."

The guards take the shouting Rienne to the basement as Astria cries. She too is taken to another room by the maids.

"Why did you keep Astria and not throw that woman in the castle's prison!" Alex asks angrily.

"That girl has crystal blue eyes dear, maybe that woman was telling the truth. Crystal blue eyes only belong to the Stanford bloodline. The Duke must have cheated on me." mother says, sadly.

"You don't have to worry mother, even if the Duke doesn't love you, I ensure that your children will always be by your side and give you all the love and happiness of the world." I say

"And I will make sure the Duke pays for this when I grow up" replies Alex, quite enraged by the fact.

"How blessed I am to have such caring and wonderful children like you. God has given me what I need, you both are my only family. As for the Duke, I always knew he never loved me truly. I am just happy to have you both." she says as we both hug her.

This is all my fault. I should have just let that woman die with the sickness. I feel so guilty.

Mother looks at me suddenly as if she read my thoughts, she says

"Nora dear, please do not feel guilty for letting the healer heal the maid. You have a good heart, you saved a child from losing her mother so please do not blame yourself."

I just hug her tighter as we wait for the Duke to return.