Chapter Twenty Eight

Chapter Twenty seven

She stared blankly at the evidence laying in front of her, her breath uneven and heavy.
She bit her lower lips hardly, pushing back the tears threatening to spill.

Her mind wandered off to her husband, he had a hard life truly.
He was too young to go through all that.

Today is the last hearing of Senator Fabian's case, and she is yet to decide on what to do.
That piece of evidence is enough to put an end to everything.
But she has a lot in line, majorly her husband.

She can deal with every criticism that comes her way, but it meant she is going to lose her marriage, her husband and she just doesn't has the heart to take it.

The pain she saw in his eyes last night as he narrated his past to her was something so deep and raw.
So he has just been acting all strong, while he is shattered deep inside.

His last words kept on ringing a bell in her head.

" I wasn't sure before but now I think the right thing to do is to tell the truth. I am sorry for breaking us Ari, it's all my fault. But I don't want to keep hurting you, I should be the one to end this. I will turn myself in, and please don't do anything. Let me do wasn'tthis in my own way".

He is planning something, he is going to turn himself in, she is going to lose him forever.
That mere thoughts kept on shattering her heart.
What have they done? Why can't they just be happy?
Why is all of this happening?

For the first time since all of it started, she felt guilty for trying to expose Fabian.
If only she had kept her peace and let it slide, all of this wouldn't be happening to them.

The truth is so hard for her to bear, that she regretted finding it out.
She shouldn't have pestered him.
If only she had not been desperate in knowing the truth.

Maybe not knowing all of this would have been much more better.

She kept her gaze on that piece of evidence that will change her life forever.
All of her life being a Lawyer,. She has always been just and transparent, now that she is at the mercy of herself, being unjust just once should not really matter.

If she destroy the evidence , everyone will be fine.
Her husband will be safe and Fabian won't go to jail meaning they are going to let her family be.
Just only this time, just once.

As these thoughts run through her mind, a knock came through the door jolting her out of her mind.

Before she could move an inch, the door spranged open.
She was more surprised on seeing it was a stranger.

She stood up swiftly from her chair, quickly hiding the documents inside her drawer.

" Barrister Rodriguez ", the man called hovering into her office.

" Who are you? How may I help you?", She queried finding it hard to believe how he just barged into her office.

She hasn't even gotten over that shock, when he sat down on his own will.
Acting as if he owns the place.

" With all due respect, this is very rude of you mister, you just don't barge into people's space like that", she said trying to sound Stern as ever.

He sniggered instead, ignoring her and roamed his eyes through the office.
" You got a nice office", he complimented.

" What can I do for you?", She asked again trying do hard to keep her cool.

He kept mute.

" I think I will have to call the security on you ", she said stretching to pick the telephone line.