Chapter 3

She parked the UTV at the edge of the woods and then walked in. It was the first place she would have gone if she was in danger. She knew these woods like the back of her hand. Luna started walking through the forest. Her fort was just up ahead.

She strode up to a small shack made of stone and wood. She had found the shack when she was nine years old. The shack had no door, just a small opening in the wall. The opening was blocked by ferns and vines that hid it well. She noticed that a large dog could fit into it. Only Laika and her knew about the shack.

Luna crawled through the opening. The only things in there were a small chair, bookshelf, table, cabinet, trash can, and mini-fridge. Luna crawled in through the opening and took off her muck boots and socks. She walked up to the cabinet. The cabinet had snacks and adventure stuff. She grabbed her compass, knife, camouflage shirt, and jeans. She changed into her shirt and jeans then strapped the compass to her shirt and the knife to her pants.

She never wore her boots or socks for fear that something would hear her. Most of the time she would sketch new birds she saw or mushrooms but today was different. She slowly crawled out of the shack and turned towards the UTV. She saw Laika looking at her from the backseat. Luna clicked at Laika. Laika grabbed the keys from the front of the UTV and trotted over to her. Luna grabbed the keys from Laika and walked further into the forest with Laika at her heels.