Chapter 17: Unmasking the Sociopath

SMACK

The cane hit the side of his face, breaking skin. His jaw clenched, tasting blood from the inside of his cheek. Warm liquid dribbled from his cheek bone, but he could handle this. This pain was as familiar to him as breathing. Being beaten and starved played directly into his Cause and Effect view on life. Take for example now. He was going to cause his father to be angrier and the effect would probably be more beatings that he couldn't act out against.

"Is that all you've got?" He spit on the floor, seeing blood mix with saliva. "I think you're getting weak in your old age."

His father nodded, stepping aside to reveal Marvolo. "Then perhaps my heir will teach the spare an important lesson about behaving at the dinner table."

Marvolo smiled brightly, taking the cane from his father. Ominis returned his smile with one of his own. "Am I supposed to be frightened?"

"Did you think I wouldn't notice them? Ever since the incident with the Sallow boy, you've been wearing them and I've never seen you take them off even to eat." Marvolo noted in a knowing tone, "Take them off, little brother. Your gloves. And hold out your hands."

The smile stayed on his face, but Ominis felt the facade crack on the inside. Lucifer rebelled against God one day and paid the price. This had been a long time coming. Marvolo was incessantly jealous of his success and had been waiting on the sidelines like a starved dog ready to attack. Now that he had approval from their father, Marvolo planned to smite him down.

Ominis could only hope that he survived the fall.

There were people counting on him that he couldn't let down.

Chapter 17: Unmasking the Sociopath

"Oh, that's wonderful." Stella smiled as the groceries began to put themselves away. Tobbs looked happy to have had a friend go shopping with him and it had been fun to see how Hogsmeade used to be over a hundred years ago. "I didn't realize that you'd been friends with Deek for so long."

"Deek always checked in on Tobbs when he had to go into the-"

Eden's head raised as the air around the living room thickened. Ominis appeared with his back turned to them and he didn't utter a single pleasantry as he walked towards his bedroom and slammed it shut.

Tobbs and her shared a look. "Should you go check on him?"

He adamantly shook his head. "Not when Master is like this. Tobbs was instructed to check on him only when summoned." He pointed to Eden, "She's the only one who can be around him when he is in a mood."

Eden's tongue flickered out and she gracefully twisted herself down Stella's body until she was headed towards the door. Unfortunately with it closed, she couldn't exactly open it. Stella walked forward, knocking, but no one said anything from the other end.

"Ominis? Eden wants to come in." No response. "I"m opening the door."

Stella gripped the cold handle, wondering if this was a good idea, but if something had happened, then it would be for the best if Eden was there for him. She cracked the door open, just in time to see him walking into the bathroom with no shirt on.

Angry red welts were sprayed across his back. She could see where the skin was cut and blood dripped down. His hands were bloodied too. Eden slid past the small crack in the doorway. Hearing her, he turned which made her breath catch.