Chapter 38: Judgement Day

Garreth's voice turned cold. "It makes sense you sent Eden. Since the last time you tried to protect anyone, Eleanora Jacobs, Anne Sallow, and Solomon Sallow ended up dead. Sebastian went to Azkaban... And you mysteriously gained your eyesight in the midst of it."

Shock infiltrated her system, but she willed herself not to show a reaction for Ominis' sake. He wasn't looking at them at all. He was looking at her. Stella finally met his eyes, allowing the question to shine back at him.

You were blind? Completely? ...Was it the relic?

A subtle nod.

More shock pooled inside her and she needed to take a breath. "I think I'll go take that bath." She murmured to him.

Ominis nodded, "I already started one for you."

"Thank you."

Whatever preconceived notions they had of her were confirmed in their minds. She could see as they both looked at her that they were convinced she warmed his bed.

Doesn't matter. Her mind was reeling.

'Stella?' Eden's voice was hesitant.

Closing the door, she lowered her voice. "I know there's a story. I'll let him tell me before I make any assumptions. But you should be out there. Merlin knows he's going to kill Weasley for revealing some very personal information. Make sure he doesn't get himself into any trouble."

Eden nodded, flickering her tongue against her cheek lightly before Stella opened the door just a crack enough to let her through. She needed a bath and maybe a couple shots of firewhisky before Ominis explained himself.

The truth was finally coming to light.

He would tell her about the relic.

Chapter 38: Judgement Day

Stella had her arms crossed as she leaned on the edge of the bathtub. There was a constant heating charm on the bath and her muscles felt so relaxed with the hot water. He'd used an unnecessary amount of bubble soap which she almost found endearing.

The door cracked open after twenty minutes and Eden slithered in first, stopping at the doorway to the bathroom. 'He wants to talk to you.'

"I can speak for myself." Ominis' voice was cold and detached, but now she knew that was a defensive mechanism for him. Not because he was a cold person. Sociopath, yes, but this sociopath also drew a bath for her and owl'd doctors on how to take better care of her. "I'll wait until she's out of the bath."

Stella raised her voice, a half smile tugging at her lips. "Don't worry, you put enough bubble soap in here that all the naughty bits are covered. This entire room might be covered if you'd put a dollop more in."

"That's an exaggeration." Ominis' voice carried, but soon he was leaning against the doorframe, gazing down appreciatively at her.

He enjoyed the sight of her in the bath for what it was, but Stella was surprisingly unbothered. Of course his heated stare made her squirm and her thighs clench, but she was once again comfortable with him. She also knew he wouldn't touch her and that there was a larger cloud hanging over them than their silent acknowledgement of the sexual tension. One of them had to be the one to break the ice on the subject.