Moonlight

"sure. I can go with you," Xiao replied. 

Hutao looked at him, energy drained from these events. "I swear, I didn't mean any harm when I took the book. I just wanted to joke around, you know?"

Xiao nodded. "As long as you return the book and apologize, you won't get in any trouble."  

The night brought a gust of strong wind that swept to both of them. Hutao swayed in the wind and Xiao instinctively put an arm around her. "Hutao?"

"Yea?" Hutao said, leaning on Xiao's shoulder as rain began to fall.

"I'm sorry about earlier. I hope you are alright," the adepti held her tighter.

Hutao smiled. "Hehe! It's alright. I felt like I overreacted anyways." They made their way through the empty wooden roads and down to the side of the water, which are in calm, rippling waves reflecting the glittery moon. 

Hutao stared in awe, captivated by it's beauty. Her crimson eyes widened as she saw Xiao's eyes. Shining pools of honey intertwined with little pieces of ambers; galaxies of secrets and mysteries kept locked up inside that kept anyone from looking away. 

Together, they stayed there to wait for zhongli. He eventually appeared by the shore, and approached them. "Hello, Ms. Hutao and Mr. Xiao."

Hutao looked up. "I'm sorry I took the book. I only meant it as a joke! No harm meant. Am I going to be punished?" She said in a childlike rushed voice, like she was scared, and Xiao found himself almost smiling. 

"No," Zhongli said. "You may both go now. Have a good night." 

As Hutao went back home to Wuwang hill, she walked at a lower pace and spied at Xiao walking around the harbour. How at ease he looks now, but how pained and heavy his eyes looks, capacity full of the dark karma and secrets accumulated over the years. Every movement he did, Hutao couldn't tear her eyes off him. 

Finally, she ran to him and grinned. "Hiya! It's me! Do you, uhh, know, what time is it?" 

The adepti gave her an unimpressed look. "It is 12 in the morning. Why are you following me?" 

Hutao's eyes widened. "B-but I wasn't! Uhh," she stammered, "I, you know, just wanted to know what the time is. Hehe."