Chapter Nine - Part Two

Dmitry couldn't wait to get back to Violet. He'd spent the day visiting the elders, getting their opinions on the breeding problem, his mating with a human, and making a mandatory blood oath. Through it all, he tried to be polite and controlled when, in fact, he wanted to growl with frustration.

After all this effort, he was back to the beginning. There were no other packs in Russia and no mates for their single males. None of the elders knew why the population dwindled. They gave their own opinions, but no true evidence forwhat happened. Most of them could care less whom he mated with, aslong as he found a way to increase their numbers. And with all the advice, pro and con, it was still his decision whether to ask for a blood oath from the pack members. Dmitry wondered why he took the time to ask for their advice when it often led to the decision being his alone.

Sensing his son's frustration, Vikenti patted him on the back. "You're doing the right thing in asking. If only so they won't have their feelings hurt when you make a decision." But the decision would still be Dmitry's, his right as Alpha.

It was time to go home. After Dmitry and his men removed their clothes and left them in one of the strong boxes along the trail, Dmitry gave the signal to shift. A good run would help release tension.

Dmitry loved being a wolf, the freedom intoxicating, and the power tremendous. The large black wolf's lips pulled back as he reached for the next leap. Dmitry ran as fast as he could, his tail straight out behind him. He sped past low-lying brush, and jumped fallen logs, every movement a picture of perfection. His pack members spread out behind him trying to keep up. This was his world. The Siberian tundra, his home and refuge. The wind brought the scent of prey, food. Strength flowed through him.

He reached for Violet's mind wanting to share the exhilaration of being a wolf. His mother reported their conversation, and Violet's correct deductions. Her quick observations and conclusion terrified as well as delighted him. He was so proud of her. Their minds merged as he shared each experience with her, his mate.

The earth exploded next to his front paw. Then he heard it, the whine of a bullet. He jumped to the left as he called to Vikenti and Grigori. If they could run into the deeper forest, whoever shot at them would have a harder time finding a target. As he reached the tree line, he felt the bullet enter his hip, the pain excruciating. White-hot flames engulfed him. He staggered, but pushed himself to keep going. Safety was only a few feet away. Violet screamed, feeling his pain, she called out to him telepathically. Unable to shield her from the agony, he broke contact. Finally, deep into the forest, Dmitry collapsed next to a fallen tree.

His father followed him and shape-shifted immediately, kneeling at his side. Vikenti started pressing against the wound, feeling for the bullet. Dmitry screamed in his mind, the pain unbearable. Violet came flooding into his thoughts, soothing him. He would've pushed her out, but lacked the strength.

"I'm with you, let me help you."

Dmitry had no choice but to let her stay connected to him. His heart melted, knowing she wanted to comfort him.

"The bullet is out now. You need to shift, Dmitry." Vikenti looked worried. Dmitry knew he'd lost a lot of blood. Could he make the shift when he felt so weak?

Strength poured into him. Dmitry realized Violet and his family were trying to aid him. He called the shift, felt his bones start to re-knit, torn flesh to mend. It was painful, but lasted only a moment as the wolf reshaped and became the man.

Dmitry lay on the ground panting. The pain was gone, but he was still weak from the loss of blood. His father helped him sit up and lean against the tree.