Chapter Nine

Wow, it has been a while... I do not quite remember where I was going with this but I can try maybe haha

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ashley's POV

If you have ever fallen out of bed at night you are familiar with the almost immediate confusion and wonder of how exactly you had wound up on the floor. Now imagine this confusion multiplied by a thousand and the feeling like you had been hit by a large city bus. Your head is swimming and the only real explanation of how the rest of your body feels is like you have been lit on fire and left to dry in the sweltering sun of Death Valley. It is highly unpleasant to say the least.

I had been watching the back of my eyelids for the better half of what seemed like days listening to the sounds of nurses checking my vital signs and gently lifting up what had to be gauze dressings on my chest and abdomen. My eyelids felt thick and heavy and any attempt at opening them had been thwarted by the immense pain in my head. 

"Ashley honey can you hear me?" 

Someone gently tapped my arm.

My eyes slowly opened and I ignored the dull aching pain in my skull. Bright lights assaulted my eyes as they began to open. 

Everything was blurry.

"Ashley honey can you see me?" The calm voice said again. 

Things were taking on a sharper appearance, the door of the room now had definite edges and a lonely fern looked less like a mass of green and more like a typical houseplant. 

I attempted to respond to the calm voices question but my throat was parched and my tongue was incapable of forming syllabic words, so instead I nodded. 

A grey haired nurse stepped into view, her face was tired but still held a smile and her eyes had a light shine to them. She removed the chart from the end of my hospital bed and quickly wrote something down, she smiled again briefly.

"The doctor should be here any moment to check on you dear". She said as she made her way to the door and I gave her a slight nod. The door clicked close. 

Glancing around the otherwise plain room I noticed a few machines pushed against the room not in use, one was a ventilator. Confused and somewhat dazed I examined the hospital intake bracelet around my wrist, my head throbbed at every movement. 

A light knocking on the door and it opened slowly. A tall man entered, he was young and glasses were perched on the end of his nose. He smiled at me.

"Hello Ashley, I'm Dr. Osborne head neurologist at Landstuhl Medical. Do you remember what happened?" He said as he handed me a glass of water.

 His question puzzled me for a second as I greedily drank from the glass. 

"There was an accident I presume?" I said my voice still thick and husky from being so parched for so long. 

He smiled as he withdraw a penlight from the pocket of his white lab coat. 

"Ashley I need you to follow the light without moving your head."

I nodded and he began to flash the horrendously bright light into my eyes and I proceed to follow it.

"Very good Ashley, now lets talk about what happened." 

------------------------------------------

I don't even know if anyone still reads this....