7. THE CHASE

Bismillah.

Chapter dedicated to MoninaBautista for voting for this story. Thank you! ^____^

7. The Chase

Zai's POV

I slap him. I slamp Amir's face so hard that the sound of it still echoes inside the car, even after I did it.

His right cheek reddened.

"Zainab, Sis, is everything alright?" my older brother asked with panic in his voice.

"Yes Kah, I'm getting out of the car now. Jazakallahu khairan. Assalamu alaykum," upon saying that I turned off my phone and got out of the car.

I knew that if I didn't leave, I would fall. I would definitely fall, for those eyes of his, for his voice of longing and desperation. I would fall for Amir. The heck, I think I already have..

"Zainab," Amir called out, getting out of his car.

I will not turn to look.

No, Zai, just continue walking.

"I'm serious Zai, I really want to marry you asap," he reiterated.

I wasn't able to stop it anymore. I turn to look at him and knew it was a big mistake.

Because as I watch him come close to me, my heart was racing.

He would be my husband? This intense man who when he loves, he loves immensely.

Who gives his heart without reservation.

I knew. My heart knew that I wanted him too.

How did it come to this ya Allah? I do not know.

"You know what Amir? Have you no shame?"

The dark clouds seemed to invade the sky and the sound of thunder can be heard. Just like the nervousness wrapped around me.

This time, Amir was already standing in front of me, not taking off his eyes away from me.

"I genuinely tried to help you, and actually your dearest ZJ and I will meet and talk things through about the both of you. And yet, here you are, fighting a losing battle within yourself. You love her. More than you could ever love anybody... and still you want to marry another girl? It's okay if you want to but how dare you have the audacity, how dare you have the courage to ask me? A complete stranger. I am just the Muslim sister who wanted to help a brother and a sister who clearly have feelings for each other be together," I said.

My tears were falling and it was starting to rain.

The heck! He should not see these tears or else...

"Hey, why are you crying?" his voice was filled with worry and guilt.

He made a move to touch my face and yet I move backwards, raising both of my hands stopping him.

"I don't know what joke is this but it's not funny. Stay. Away. From. Me. I don't want to see your face. And what I said was true, ZJ loves you too."

The rain started to pour heavily and I walked away from him.

Oh ya Rabb, help this stupid heart of mine. Let not our roads meet again.

I did not stop to hail a taxi. I just walked and walked and walked.

I feel so little and ugly again. He is the only man who ever made me feel that.