21. CHOCOLATE CAKES

Bismillah.

21. Chocolate Cakes 

Zai's POV

As we were having breakfast, Amir still sounded frustrated and disappointed.

"I don't get why we cannot leave the country for a month! This is ridiculous! We're not suspects, are we? We're even the victims here," he said, then took a sip on his black coffee.

"Hon, it's security protocol," I said for the nth time.

It has been three days since the terrorist attacked the city but all the media could take about was that night. We already went through the debriefing and distressing session with the assigned psychologist. And so far, I've been having a sound sleep.

"We're supposed to be in London right now," my husband spoke.

Why does he even want to go to London? Is it because she's there? I don't make a habit of reading newspaper in the morning. But since Amir was whining again about the government's lack of respect to our rights, I reached out for the newspaper and went to the personality section.

Amir took the week off for us to unwind and relax. But all he does is complain a lot. I don't know why all of a sudden he seemed so stress and anxious about something I could not spell out. I also felt guilty because a part of me hated the sight of him. It is strange actually. However, deep down in my knowledge, it has something to do with the London trip. I know its illogical for me to still get jealous of that niqabi woman but I can't help it. Why of all places London. Why not Egypt or Madinah or Paris? I don't understand and I don't want to understand.

I heard Amir took his sandwhich and was quiet for a while. I needed a distraction. From him, from this house. I saw Lemuel's picture on the newspaper. He was to launch his new clothing line at the end of the month. It was a charity function, the article says. Then suddenly, flash back of his kindness and my rudeness last night made me feel guilty. I didn't even bother to apologize to him. All four of them chose to stay with me that night, Lemuel, Aaron, Cherry and even that loudspeaker Troy. I should at least show them my gratitude. Then an idea popped into my mind.

I shoved the newspaper and stood up. I got my cup and my plate with my fork and placed them on the sink.

"I'm going out. I need to buy some stocks," I announced to my husband.

His face felt panic and he finished his coffee.

"I'll go with you," he said.

I just shrugged my shoulders and went back to my room. Eight cakes. I will be baking eight chocolate cakes today. I smiled at the thought. I sure hope they will like it.

____________________________________

Amir's POV

I know I'm being difficult for my wife. All I do is whine of how our local government send the police to tell us that we cannot leave the country for a month. I know its standard security protocol but the heck! I already lost my investors and now they have the right to lose me my supposed-to-be romantic get – away with my wife.

Zai has been aloof and distant ever since that incident. Sure she allows me to hug and kiss her but there's something bothering her. I wanted to ask her but I don't think she would answer me honestly. Could it be that Lemuel or Aaron has gotten her heart? Darn! What am I thinking? I am doubting her faithfulness again. I should remember to make a serious du'a about this later over tahadjud prayer. I love my wife too much that often times, I wonder if I truly deserve to be her husband.

We both went to our closet and changed our clothes. I settled for just plain blue shirt and jeans. When Zai came out of her closet, she was looking astonishing. Wait, we're just going to the grocery store, does she really need to look overly pretty wearing a long yellow dress?