24. GUEST ROOM

Bismillah.

The thought that this story has united varied readers from different countries, races and nationalities really humbles me. Alhamdulillahi rabbil alamin. Thanks much!

24. Guest Room

Amir’s POV

As I watched my wife climbed into our car, my heart was in total desperation. To hear her say that I still have her heart was a need that cannot wait until we get home.

“You love me right?” I asked her.

She put on her seat belt and refused to look at me. As she buckled up, I approached her until her face turned towards mine. We were only an inch apart.

“Say it,” I asked her gently.

“Uhm… say what?” she asked nervously.

She opted to missed out calling me Hon. She could have said “Say what Hon?” …

“Say that you love me, that nothing has changed,” I begged of her.

Her expression seemed to have softened and I was expecting to hear her say it.

“Let’s go home,” she answered with a sad smile.

“Oh..okay,” I simply said to her.

I started the engine and drove in silence. I stole glances of her from time to time. All my wife does is sigh then looked out the window. I wonder what goes through her mind. I wonder if she will ever look at me the same way after what I did to her today. Ya Allah, help me, guide me oh please.

As soon as we arrived at our house and I parked at the garage, Zai didn’t even wait for me to open the door for her.

Automatically, she got out of the car and walked towards our home. I let out a sigh as I too climbed out of the car and closed the garage. Guess, I just have to explain to her why I did what I did. In shaa Allah, she will understand. She always does anyway, I mentally comforted myself with that fact. However, today was different. Today was very different because I caused her to almost lose her senses and also because… I saw not only the way Aaron looks at her… but the way she looks at him too.

______________________________________________________________________

Zai’s POV

I took a hot bath to calm myself down. I know that something has changed in my heart. And it’s a change that I don’t want to welcome, because it isn’t right at all. My loyalty should only be for the man preparing dinner for me downstairs. I love him. I still love him.

The water in the bath tub enveloped my body with ease and comfort. I closed my eyes and recalled all the memories I had with Amir. From the wrong tag of my facebook account, and receiving his heartfelt request of meeting me then that first time of really seeing him in person at my printing shop. I couldn’t help but smile. From that moment, I already knew, he had me swept away, by his charm, wit and most of all his heart for Islam and even his love for her back then. Then images of his surprise for me at the grocery store with his sweet words on the small cards made me long for those moments when my heart wasn’t confuse of who it loves. Adding up that sweet cake with sweet dedication for me. He loves me alright.

But why..

Why was it easy for him to just leave me there at the restaurant? Why? I felt a pain in my heart again. I shook my head and finished my bath. Maybe a good sleep can make me feel alright.
I prayed Isha afterwards then just sat at the guest room. Yes, I am at the guest room now because I had asked Amir if I could sleep here tonight, without him. He insisted that I stayed at our bedroom and him here. But it would still have his scent so I’d rather be in this bed. I saw the hurt and worry in his face but in the end, he understood.