three

edith

after a week of stressful planning and setting up, kids and adults all crowded around, adults mingling and all of the kids running around and playing on the bouncy house i rented. "no offense, but you're a single mother with no job. how did manage to do all of this?"

i turned around to see hazel's friend zachary's mother behind me. "it came from my saving account. i was saving it since middle school for a trip out of states but that's changed."

"i give you all my respect, honey. i don't think i would be able to do this on my own." she shook my hand, smiling.

"thank you."

just as she was going to reply, hazel came running over, her tiara lopsided on her head. "what's wrong?"

"i'm hungry." she pouted, then her eyes widened. "there's the pizza man!"

laughing, i excuse myself from zachary's mother and grabbed the money for the pizza from my bra. when i walked to where hazel was running, my happy mood turned into a shitty mood. "hi, edith."

"how much is the pizza?" i look at my ex boyfriend who was holding the the three pizza boxes.

"forty, ninety six." he says. "is this hazel?"

"here." i hand him forty one dollars. "keep the change."

"you know i don't even deliver." he says. "i'm supposed to work the register considering my drivers license is suspended until next month."

"you're telling me why?"

"i wanted to see how you and hazel were doing." he shrugs.

"well we have a party to host."

"happy birthday hazel." he says before waving goodbye. she waves, then smiles.

"the pizza man knows me?"

"yeah, me and the pizza man were friends when i was in high school."

i don't know if she remembered the first few months of him being around when she was little, but she just nodded at my words as i put pizza on a plate for her. all of her friends came crowding around, me asking the mothers and fathers for help. all the dirty small hands were getting me irritated. mental note that when she turns five there's no more birthday parties. all presents and mommy - daughter activities.

after the kids ate pizza, hazel decided on a dance contest. it was all the kids and some of their parents. the phone i had hooked up was on pandora, so it was playing all the hits and i should've expected justin bieber to come on. his single sorry blasted, me watching hazel dance around with her friends. she's a fan of him but not a big fan, thank god. not to the point where she wants to go to concerts and such, i mean she's only three. only concert she's been to was disney on ice and that's technically not a concert.

chuckling, i sit down to watch the kids and their parents dance around. hazel's enjoying herself, me wishing i could. hazel makes me happy but i feel as if she isn't happy. she wants a father figure and i can't provide that.

"mommy, come dance!" hazel grabbed my hand, grinning. "you look sad."

"i am." i bend down. "you're growing up too fast."

hazel grabbed my face, "aw mommy, im gonna be your little girl forever."

"i hope so."

---------

secute kms