⊰1⊱

A very mysterious, dark and sexy cover made by the lovely @xoxo_angelic

Thank you so much love, it looks amazing!

🌹

I wish I could tell you what it means to be human.

Unfortunately, the true meaning of being human was stripped away back in 2066, when the vampires crept from the shadows, taking what apparently belonged to them. The world belongs to no one, let alone a species that prides itself on power and dominance. Though, history is written by the victors and so do the spoils go to as well.

I never lived in a world where humans were at the top of the food chain. The only one I knew and came to accept was the one that had been provided for me by my mother, Laura Wood. She was a strong woman, born before the world plunged into this everlasting darkness.

Figuratively of course.

The sun still rose and fell like a routine, so was the constant evading and running for my life.

The one thing she never did, was tell me who my father was. She stated that he was a man that would neither help her raise me, no care for my existence entirely.

I know, such a nice piece of work, one I'm glad I never had the pleasure of knowing.

Oh, that's right, you don't know why my life is at risk, now do you?

You see, when the vampires took over, they mandated a code that all humans would abide by if they wanted to live in this new world order. That code, became the very thing that built the foundation of our lives.

Well, their lives.

Not mine.

I've never lived a day by the code, though my mother made it clear for me to learn it. You know, especially about the part where if you don't follow the code, you are labeled as a vagrant. Oh yes, if I were to be caught, my life would end in a second. I'm not owned and neither work for anyone, so my punishment would be death.

In the short twenty three years of my life, I've seen plenty of those who have fallen, killed on the streets for refusing to obey the code.

The Code of Conduct.

I especially like the line where it says if the four vampires who are seated on the council agree, they can nullify the code. I don't know what that would honestly take to do, but maybe one day our world could revert back to normal. Though, this normal I've grown accustom to.

I'll die before I follow the damn code.

--⊰♥⊱--

The sound of my dark ebony and emerald green Suzuki Hayabusa is one of the only sounds I can hear. My helmet, a skin of the same color combination is sealing my face away from the cold and bitter wind. It passes me by, riding through the darkness that has gathered overhead. Stars twinkle down at me, the lights from the street lamps are illuminating the street in front of me. Those reflectors, they keep me on track, making sure I don't drive right off the cliff face I am rounding.