Chapter 19 - "I feel like the luckiest girl in the world!"

Lennon opened her front door to find Kade waiting, wearing a tux and bow tie for the charity ball that they were attending that night.

"You look spiffy!" she said.

She stepped aside so he could enter. He paused when his eyes landed on what she was wearing.

"And you look like a lumberjack," he said.

She looked down at the big, green flannel shirt she was wearing.

"This won't work for tonight?" she asked.

She kept her face blank. A worried look crossed Kade's eyes before he smiled.

"Unless you can turn that into a formal dress, I'm going to go with no."

She laughed.

"I'm just finishing getting ready. Make yourself at home," she said as she returned to her room.

She stepped into her dress and zipped it up. Stepping back, she took in the whole effect. Her dress for the charity ball was a short, winter green dress paired with strappy black heels. She had kept her hair simple, lose curls, pinned to fall over one shoulder.

She gave herself one last look and walked out of the room, waiting for Kade to notice her. When he looked up, his eyebrows rose.

"I know it's a bit much," she said cautiously.

"No, no," he said, regaining control of his face. "You look amazing! I've just never seen you so dressed up."

She smiled.

"I know it's different then how I usually look."

"It looks nice," he said.

"Thanks."

"Who's this?" He asked.

He was looking at her prom picture on her bookcase.

"Someone from high school" she said, turning back to her room to retrieve her purse.

She hadn't remembered her pictures were out when she had left him in the room alone.

"Is this the same person?" He asked.

He held up another picture as she walked out again. In the picture, her younger self was soaked from head to toe and so was the boy next to her.

"I think so," she said distractedly.

She pretended to look around the room for something and then disappeared back into her room. She only checked her reflection but she didn't want to answer any more of Kade's questions about the people in her pictures.

"We should go," she said hurriedly, heading for the door.

She stepped outside and waited for Kade to follow.

"You're in a hurry," he joked as they walked out to the waiting limo.

****************

The scene outside the hotel was hectic. Fans lined the way leading up to the red carpet and the photographers were three people deep. Kade helped Lennon out of the car and once their presence was noticed, fans started to scream.

"You ready?" Kade asked, as they stood on the edge of the chaos.

"Yeah," Lennon said, feeling confident.

The photographers broke out into yells, calling out their names the second they stepped onto the the red floor. Kade slipped his arm around her waist as they hit the first stop along the carpet. Lennon slipped her arm around him and smiled. She kept her focus outward in the beginning but then looked up at Kade. He felt her eyes on him and looked down. He kissed the side of her head before shifting his focus on the cameras.