Chapter 46 - "It's about time!"

The conversation started out hesitant and slow. One topic led to the next, continuing in that fashion until all the different aspects of their relationship were vocalized. They talked the whole drive back to Lennon's apartment, through cooking, eating, ice cream and dishes.

The more they talked, the more problems they stumbled upon. They found it wasn't just the contract. But the fact that they weren't suppose to be seen together for the next few weeks before their breakup was announced. And after, they had to act like a couple who just broken up. It would mean more time apart.

More then once, one them got overwhelmed as they faced what they were up against. It was up to the other person to talk them down.   

Lennon roughly got up from the couch and began to anxiously pace.

"Len, I know it's overwhelming," Kade said.   

She massaged her temples and tried to ease the headache that had been slowly creeping in for the last hour. It was almost two in the morning. It felt like the only thing they had accomplished was finishing off a carton of ice cream.

"Yeah, it is. Are we crazy?" she asked.

She stopped for a second to look at him before she began her prowl around her apartment again.

"Hey, come here," Kade said.

He blocked Lennon's path and opened his arms. She hesitated for a moment before sinking into him.

"There you go," Kade said.

Lennon took a deep breath. Holding on to Kade she could feel the stress and anxiety slowly fade.

"Lennon, listen to me," he said, pulling back to lock eyes with her. "We need to decide right here, right now, if this is worth it. There are a lot of hurtles to jump. It's clear this won't be simple, but there is a simple option. We could walk away right now. Nothing's happened that can't be undone. It's still an option to just be friends."

"What? No! Do you want to walk away?" she asked in a panic.

"No," he rushed reassured her.

Lennon searched his eyes to confirm his answer.

"I'm just saying," he continued, "just because the feelings are there doesn't mean the timing is right. If it's going to be too much, then I don't want you to feel pressure to make it work."

"No, I want this," she said. "It's just a lot to figure out and overwhelming. But it doesn't matter. I want this."

Kade smiled.

"Good, because I do too."

Lennon's shoulders relaxed in relief.

"I'm sorry about getting overwhelmed," she said.

"Don't be. It is overwhelming. How about we take a small break."

"Ok."

"How about some more ice cream?"

Lennon laughed and nodded her head.

They eventually did find answers. They both agreed it kept things simple and clear, if they stayed strictly friends in all senses until the contract was done. It would also make the mandatory separation, after their breakup, easier if they were just friends.        

********************

In the following weeks, Lennon found herself with more time on her hands then she knew what to do with. She spent two weeks back East visiting her dad and then Charlotte, but she returned to LA with time still to waste. Instead of spending hours watching reruns, she reached out to the few friends she had made over the past year. She clicked with Rachel Pearson, an actress she had run into at various parties. They shopped together, had spa days, and lunched.