Chapter 34 - "Are you Lennon's boyfriend?"

Lennon didn't notice her fingers twisted into a stressed knot until Kade reached over. The weight of his hand stopped their motion. She looked up at him, surprised.

"Sorry," he said, removing his hand. "It was stressing me out."

She gave a small nod, returning her attention out the window, without seeing any part of downtown Tulsa as it passed by. Her stomach was a knot and the few crackers she had been able to swallow on the plane were threatening to come up.

Kade gave a small cough and she turned to him. She felt a little guilty for her distracted state.

"You would think, by the way you are acting, that you're meeting my parents for the first time. But instead, I'm the one meeting your dad and stepmom," Kade said.

He had tried to keep his tone light, but she could hear the worry.

"Sorry," she said, taking a quick breath. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine," he reassured her. "Are you?"

"Yeah. Yeah, it will be great," she said, nodding her head.

She realized she was still nodding her head a moment later and stiffened her neck to stop herself from looking crazy. She let out a big breath and her shoulders deflated.

"Here's the thing," she said. "You shouldn't take it personally. The way Julie treats you. It's just the way it is. I mean, I've been at every Christmas since they got engaged and she still acts like I'm a guest. Which is kind of silly because technically I was celebrating Christmas with my dad way before she was but..."

Lennon stopped herself and clamped her mouth shut. She was rambling.

"What I'm trying to say," she said. "Is it might feel awkward but it has nothing to do with you. It's just the way it is. It will be fine though."

"It will be," Kade said.

He moved his hand to cover her's which grasped the seat. She relaxed her grip, reassured by his touch.

"You take the lead and I'll follow," he said. "Whatever you need."

She took in her hundredth deep breath since landing in Oklahoma. For the first time it seemed to fill her lung enough. She relaxed her shoulders.

"Thanks," she said.

The taxi pulled into the parking lot of a fancy steak house and Lennon could feel her nerves tighten.

"You can pull up by the front," she told the driver.

Kade gave her a curious look.

"We're meeting them here," she told him.

The air was chilly and heavy with the scent of recent rain as Lennon stepped from the taxi. The front door of the restaurant opened, allowing the noise from inside to seep out as her father emerged. He gave her a big smile, the wrinkles around his eyes deepening.

"Dad," Lennon said.

He pulled her into his arms. She rested against his worn, sheep lined jean jacket, he had worn since college.

"Merry Christmas," she said.

"Merry Christmas Len," he said   

There was a subtle thunk behind them and Lennon turned to see Kade depositing their bags onto the sidewalk. He straightened under their gaze and Lennon could see the nerves he had kept well hidden in the car.

"Dad, I want you to meet Kade," she said, extending her hand out to Kade. He took it and stepped closer.

"It's nice to meet you sir," Kade said, their handshake firm.