Chapter 27 - "Do you like waffles?"

The next morning Lennon came down the stairs. She heard noise coming from the kitchen and followed it.

"Good morning!" Kade's father said cheerfully.

"Good morning" she said, unsure.

"You're up early."

"I'm as surprised as you are" she joked.

"Coffee?"

"I would love some. Thanks so much" she said.

"Milk or sugar?"

"Both. Thanks so much." Lennon accepted the mug and cradled it in between her hands. "Do you always get up early?" she asked, as he poured himself a cup of coffee.

"I have to for work so it's become a habit, one that has not been passed down to my sons" he joked.

"You're an architect, right?"

"I am indeed."

"Did you always know you wanted to be an architect?"

He told her about how he had always been intrigued by buildings. His fascination stemming from living in a city, watching the process of a building being built. He moved past his career and talked about meeting Margret and having Kade and Robbie.

"I'm sure we've told you this but we are very happy to have you here for Thanksgiving" he said.

"I'm glad I got to come."

His face grew serious.

"These last few years have been tough ones for the family and for Kade" he said.

He grabbed a towel to wipe down the already clean counter.

"The hardest part of being a parent is seeing your child make the wrong decision and being powerless to stop him. We had gotten use to the boy's fame but something shifted after their second CD. Rumors started, we tried not to believe them, until the pictures came out."

Lennon couldn't imagine how hard it must have been to read those thing.

Harryson stood, his eyes on the floor.

"We tried to reach out but he became distant. We took more drastic steps, flying out to see him, trying to get him to talk to us."

He stopped. Lennon tried to think of something comforting to say as Harryson paused. He finally looked up and gave her a sad smile.

"We are all thankful that he has moved past that phase, having you here feels like everything is better. To see him happy and so at ease with someone great like you is great relief."

Lennon forced a smile, trying to ignore the feeling of guilt.

"Do you like waffles?" he asked, after a pause.

"Yeah."

"Good. Waffles for breakfast on holidays, it's a tradition. Would you like to help?" he asked.

As they mixed batter he asked about her music. He understood more about the business then her own dad. She in turn asked about his architecture projects.

The first batch of waffles was just coming off the waffle iron when they heard foot steps and Margret came into the kitchen.

"Good morning." she said sleepily,

She gave Lennon a hug and Harryson a kiss before she reached for the coffee pot.

The eggs were just finished when they heard sleepy voices from upstairs.