Chapter 9

“Come outside guys! My dad got a fire going!”

Molly got up from where she was sitting on the couch and stepped outside onto the patio. Wow, her dad had gotten a pretty good fire going, it was really pretty. She stood close to the fire next to her friend, Aubree. She looked up at the sky, “Oh my gosh…” she breathed, “Aubree, look at the sky.”

She looked up, “Oh wow, that is gorgeous.” Then looked back down at her phone and continued texting whoever it was she was texting.

Molly continued to gaze at the sky. The moon was full, the sky a deep, dark, beautiful blue, there were a few stars dotted around the sky, but the most breath taking element was the ring around the moon. She had never seen something so beautiful in her life. She couldn’t stop staring at the sky.

“Molly, Molly!” Aubree said, shaking Molly’s shoulder.

“Hmm?” she said, un-moved, only half paying attention.

“Matt and Kayla broke up! It’s rebound time for Aubree!” She said, jumping up and down with excitement.

“Yeah, that’s great…”

“Molly, you aren’t even listening to me. What did I just say?”

“Great, great, yeah…”

“Molly!” she grabbed her shoulders and turned her so she Molly had no choice but to look at her.

“What is with you tonight? I’m serious, Molly.”

“Nothing…it’s just, look at the sky Bree, it’s more beautiful than anything I’ve ever seen.”

She raised one of her eyebrows, “Molly, I love you to death, but you’re talking like a crazy person.”

“Yeah, that’s great, Bree.” She said, looking back up at the sky.

Her other friend, Hunter, came and stood next to her. Hunter and Molly had been friends since both of them could remember, Hunter had always had a small crush on her, but would never admit it to anyone. If anyone asked he would simply say, “I love her like a sister, we’re just friends.”

“Isn’t your neck sore?” he asked after they had been standing in silence for a few seconds.

“A little, but it’s worth it.”

“What’s so special about the sky? Is it just the ring that’s around the moon?”

“No…there’s, well it’s almost like there’s something more to it. Now, don’t laugh at me, but it’s almost like there is a magic feeling in the air.”

He laughed, “Magic?”

“Hey, I said not to laugh!” she paused to hit his arm, then getting back on topic she said, “I’ve only felt like this once before.”

“Once before?”

“Yeah, I was on my eighth grade trip and we went to this beach and lay down in the sand at, like, ten o’clock at night, and all you could see was this blanket of sky and stars. Everywhere you looked you saw a shooting star. It was…more than beautiful.”

“You’re such a hopeless romantic, Molly.” He laughed, shoving her slightly.

“Shut up, you act like I don’t already know that.”

“It’s one of the things that I love about you.”

She looked at him, biting her lip, and smiled. He looked down at his phone.

“Hey, happy birthday.”

“What?”

“It’s midnight, happy birthday, Molly. How does it feel to finally be fifteen like the rest of us?”