Chapter 22

“’Listen, then,’ said Wendy, settling down to her story, with Michael at her feet and seven boys in the bed.”

“Please, Molly, tell us a story!” Tiny pleaded.

“You’re the best story teller ever!” Sachet cried.

“Please, Molly, please?” Dodo begged.

Molly smiled, “But I’ve already told you boys’ two stories tonight. And besides, it’s getting late.”

“We’ll go right to sleep with no fight if you tell us just one more!” Copper bargained.

Molly grinned again and stepped toward the lone boy sitting in the corner. “What do you think, Curly? Would you like to hear another story?”

He said nothing. He only turned his head slowly so that he was not looking directly at her.

Molly twisted her lips, disappointed, and turned to the other boys. “Alright,” she sighed, “I’ll tell you ONE more story and then off to bed.”

The boys cheered, well, all except for Curly.

“Tell us the one about the girl who lost her slipper!” Dodo said.

“Cinderella, blockhead,” Sachet stated.

“Naw, don’t tell that one again,” Copper complained, “We’ve heard it a million times!”

“But I want to hear another love story!” Dodo shouted.

“Well I want to hear a story with lots of blood and killing!” Copper yelled.

“Boys, boys, calm down,” Molly instructed and they immediately silenced. She turned to the most adored person in the room and smiled, “Peter? What do you think?”

He thought for a moment, sitting Indian style in the air. “I think,” he started, smirking evilly, “I think that you should tell them a scary story. One so blood-curdling scary that they won’t be able to sleep for days! So scary that the most nastiest beasts in all of Neverland look like tiny ants!”

“I don’t know about that…” Molly said uneasily.

“Well, not that, scary…hey! Tell them about the dentist. I’ve been there once before, before I came here.”

Molly smiled.

“What’s a dentist?” Tiny asked.

“The dentist,” Molly started, “Is a scary place. You walk in and it smells old and stale. You sit in an uncomfortable chair for hours and hours on end, nervously awaiting your turn.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad,” Copper said.

“Oh, I haven’t even gotten to the scary part. While you’re waiting your turn, you hear the screams of other patients. And when those patients come out of the small room that they were in, some have blood dripping from their mouths and moan in agony. Some come out laughing uncontrollably like a mad person! And that’s when you get called. You slowly walk into the back room, dreading every step that you take. When you get to the there, a man who seems friendly welcomes you to sit in a long chair. You take a seat and right away you’re chained to it with metal clips that hold thin paper on the end of it to catch any blood that comes out of your mouth.

The man doesn’t even give you any time to get comfortable before he lays you back and blinds you with a light as bright as the sun that he puts right in front of your face. Then he starts poking at your teeth and gums with sharp needles. He scrapes your gums and scratches your teeth until you simply can’t take it anymore, but even then, he doesn’t stop. He’ll drill holes in your teeth or pull them out with pliers.”