Chapter 19

Aubree paced around her room. She was starting to worry that Molly would never text her back but she needed her to desperately. Who else was she going to ask about what she should wear on her first date with Conner Brown? Kayla had no sense of style and Adrian and she were not on speaking terms.

She picked up her phone again and looked at the time that she had sent the last message then compared it with the time on her alarm clock. She had waited a whole two hours for her reply. Now that she thought about it, she hadn’t heard from Molly in days. It wasn’t unusual for them to go a couple days without texting each other, but she was still growing worried.

She decided that she would simply have to blow up Molly’s phone until she answered. She called her five times in a row, texted her, called her a few more times, even marked a couple texts as urgent, and called three more times. She waited about twenty minutes before going into hysterics.

It just wasn’t like Molly not to answer her phone. Aubree wondered if she had done something or maybe said something the last time that they talked to make her mad at her.

Aubree pounded down the stairs that were outside of her bedroom, went out the back door and into the backyard, grabbed her bike and pedaled as fast as she could down the street to Molly’s house.

She smoothly slid off of her bike, which you can only do if you really are in the middle of an emergency, otherwise you simply sprain your ankle, when she reached the Hart’s front yard and ran up to the front door, starting to pound on it immediately.

She didn’t stop pounding until the door opened and an almost unrecognizable Mr. Hart stood in front of her.

She ignored the scraggly looks of him and asked, “Is Molly home?”

Mr. Hart looked up and down the street, as if looking for someone that might have been after him, and then pulled Aubree into the house with one swift motion. He slammed the door shut and locked it up tight.  

Aubree looked in disgust at the, what used to be, living room that lay before her.

There were empty soda cans and pizza boxes on the table, the floor, and even coated on the old grand piano in the corner of the room. The room was dim, all of the window shades were closed and no lights were on. The only thing lighting up the room were the bright screens on the three laptops that were on the coffee table that sat in front of the love seat.

“Mr. Hart-?” was all that came from Aubree.

Mr. Hart’s friend, Kevin walked into the living room from the kitchen with a slice of pizza in one had and a soda in the other.

“Oh, hi Aubree,” he said has he stuck the pizza in his mouth.

“Hi, Mr. Stoffman,” she said, a little cautiously, she turned to Mr. Hart, who had shooed his dog off of the couch and taken a seat, “Mr. Hart, what happened to your house? What’s going on here?”

“Aubree, have a seat,” he said, pointing to the love seat, “I’ll explain everything.”

Aubree cautiously tossed a pizza box off of the love seat and sat down.

“Molly’s missing. We believe-no-we know that she has been kidnapped by-by Peter Pan.” Mr. Hart said before she could ask any questions.

Aubree laughed loudly, “What? You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“No,” Mr. Hart said with a complete seriousness in his tone.

“What? I-This doesn’t make any sense”

“We know that it sounds crazy,” Kevin said, “But it’s true.”

“You see,” Mr. Hart explained, “Molly is the great, great granddaughter of Wendy Darling.”