Chapter 35

“The Return Home”

As the sun set on Neverland Island, the Lost Boy’s cried and hugged their mother for the last time.

“Are you sure that you don’t want to come with me?” Molly asked again, weakly.

Sachet looked to each boy then said, “We’re sure. We have to stay here with Peter.”

Molly glanced to Peter who stood next to the orb with his arms folded across his chest. When he noticed her looking towards him, he quickly looked the other way.

Molly frowned, and then winced again. The pain in her side was growing unbearable. She could hardly stand.

“I really must be going then,” she said through clenched teeth as she gripped her side.

Dodo hugged her again and then presented her with a lily. “Here’s a present to help you feel better,” he said as he placed it in her open palm.

Molly gently put the flower in her hair and placed her hand on Dodo’s cheek. “Thank you,” she smiled, and gave him one last hug.

“I wish that you didn’t have to leave,” Tiny said as he wiped a tear from his cheek.

Molly grinned, trying to keep from crying herself, “I’m sorry, Tiny. I made a promise that I have to keep.”

“But I’m going to miss you, Mother. And what if I forget you?” he hugged her again.

When he separated himself from her, Molly said, “Oh, but you’ll never forget me. As long as you keep me right here,” she put her hand over his heart, “you’ll never forget.” She smiled as a tear rolled down her cheek, “You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you, that’s where I’ll be waiting.” She recited the words from the lullaby that her mother had always sung to her.

Tiny nodded his head and smiled weakly.

“We need to be leaving.” Peter said plainly. He was growing tired of the sappiness. If they didn’t stop, he would begin to cry too, and he could never let his Boys see him cry.

Molly looked to him, and then back to the boys. “Goodbye,” she said one last time.

“Goodbye, Mother,” they all said in unison.

Molly started to make her way to where Peter stood. She was having a very hard time walking; her body was growing weaker and weaker. She began to stumble but was caught by a pair of strong arms. She looked up and saw Tiger Lily. Molly smiled at her, and Tiger Lily imitated her expression. As Tiger Lily helped Molly to walk the rest of the way to Peter, they didn’t say anything, but they shared the same look in their eyes.

They reached Peter and he wrapped his arm around Molly, holding her weight.

“Are you ready?” he asked solemnly.

Molly looked at the crowd that backed away from them so they weren’t teleported back to Earth. She scanned each of their faces and smiled. She had grown to love so many of them. She made memories that would last for the rest of her life.

As she looked at the many people standing there, she noticed a small glimmer of light hovering over Curly’s shoulder.

“Goodbye, Tinker Bell.” Molly mouthed to her. She saw the faerie wave excitedly and she chuckled to herself.

“Yeah, I’m ready.” She finally said to Peter.

“Are you sure?” he asked her.

“Yes,”