Chapter 16: Panora and the Vampire Queen

"Trust me," Evangeline shouted over the roaring wind as she held onto a frightened Pan tightly, "you will thank me later, and I will only accept it on bended knee." 

Evangeline Hurst.

The Bronx, New York

The Bronx, New York

The air was still. Pan doubted if anyone was awake besides her and the zealous drug dealers down below. Some might call her crazy for choosing such a neighborhood, but humans were much easier to handle then, 'other things'.

This rundown apartment wasn't much, but it was serving its purpose. Sam found not problem with it, he slept in a dark corner rolled tightly in a blanket. Pan sat beside him, gun cocked and loaded in her hand looking at him ever so often. The room was empty and dark. The only source of light was that of the full moon. It shone in through the uncovered glass of the one and only window in the room.

Instead of bringing comfort, it reminded Pan of the night and all of the evil things that existed with it. Like everything beautiful, the milk like rays of the moon was deceptive, cruel, mocking. Nothing could be trusted, no one could be trusted. These are the principles that had kept her alive. Trusting others was foolish, it got one killed.

Her mind floated back to Doe her mother's Lnamar and only friend. He had told her to trust the Grimwore wolf, that she couldn't do it alone. Pan smiled sadly at the gullible yet well meaning nature of Doe. The Grimwore had proven himself nothing more than a typical Alpha. Greedy, arrogant and foolish.

All she needed was herself, she was the only one who she could trust. There was no way she would let anyone she didn't trust near her son.

She would fight this, to the end. If it killed her. She would not let his world, his kind turn him into the evil that runs so freely through their veins. They will not take her only reason to live, her precious baby boy.

Turing to him, she stroked his golden head softly. Each caress held the promise of her unspoken words. No, she would protect him.

With no other reason other than to stretch her legs, she got up and walked around. The window on the apartment had bars. Even the front door had bars. Pan knew that the evil of humans was nothing in compared to the demons that were chasing them.

Just as the thought swirled in her mind Pan's skin prickled in warning. Her heart thumped and the blood in her veins rushed to her ears. The familiar warning of danger swirled in her gut sharpening her senses. She looked down outside for the cause of her unease. There was nothing. Poorly lit streets and graffiti splashed walls showed beyond the fire escape.

All was quite. Nothing but Sam's steady breathing could be heard.

Pan reminded tense, standing immobile in front of the window.

"Just because something cannot be seen doesn't mean it's not there." She recalled her mother's warning.

And something was there, Pan could feel it. It was on the other side of the fire escape she suspected. It was almost as if she could feel the person standing against the wall, shielding themselves from the view of the window. Whatever it was, it was dark. How she knew was of no consequence, she was certain that they only had evil intent.