25

Struggling with the pain I managed to heave myself up. Once I was on my feet my head was swimming. I took a second to steady myself and look around the dimly lit room. There wasn't much in here. I knew I had to think of something though.

I walked over to the candle and held my hands over it. The plastic of the zip tie melted and my hands were freed. The fire burnt my hand a little but it was nothing compared to how my head felt.

Once I was free I felt around for anything that could be a weapon. The only thing I found was a sharp piece of broken glass. I could make it work. After that I slowly made my way to the door. It was locked but not very sturdy. If I put my weight into it I could probably bust the old wood. It would be loud though. Bad idea!

Hmm...

I sat back down with my hands in my lap clutching the glass. Someone would come for me. That's when I'd make my move. All I had to do was wait.

Hours later I was exhausted. I was fading in and out of consciousness. Then I heard footsteps coming my way. That had me wide awake. I needed to make this happen. This was my only shot at getting out of here.

The door creaked open and a different one of Nixon's henchmen came in. He was someone I never hoped I would see. It was Zach.

He smirked at me. "Looks like you're in a bit of trouble huh?"

"Fuck you!"

"Maybe it's the company you're keeping nowadays." He chuckled coming in the room only a few steps.

"What do you even want?" I sighed. "Since when do you work for Nixon."

"Since it's none of your business. Would you like some water?" He asked me.

I cocked my head sideways. "Water? No! What I want is to be let go!"

"I was trying to be nice bitch!" He snapped as he stomped toward me.

The closer he got the more my heart hammered. Every step he took weighed the glass shard in my hand down. Could I go through with this? Could I stab someone, someone I knew and once cared about, all to get free?

Once he was right in front of me I was sure I could. He knelt down and pushed my hair over my shoulder. Then he tightened his hand around my neck. I coughed and then raised my hand to successfully stab the glass into his neck.

"Bitch!" He let me go and pulled the glass out throwing it on the ground. Not before I was up and running though. I was out the door and down the hall before I even heard his steps.

The exit was so close. Just when I thought I was going to get out of there I was stopped dead in my tracks by a gunshot. Not at me just in the air but it still stopped me. I spun around and saw Nixon looking right at me.

"Walk out that door love and it will end life for everyone you care about!" He shouted.

I flipped him the bird and ran like hell. Ran out the door and down three blocks in the Galdes. I found some sketchy looking dudes passing a joint in an alley and ran right up to them.

"Hi, you don't know me but I need some help." I panted hoping they weren't murderers.

"You look like you've been through hell. What do you need darlin?" One of them asked blowing smoke out in the air.

"Just to use a phone or a ride! I need to get out of sight." I looked over my shoulder. "Fast."

"This way." The tallest of the group nodded his head. "Names Jay."

"Thank you so much. I'm Brooke." I followed him and the others followed me.

"You were pretty brave to come up to us. Must be something bad you're running from?" Jay more asked than stated.

"Yeah pretty bad." I said nervously.

"Anyway, I don't have a car but I do have a phone you can use." He handed me an older IPhone and smiled. "Take your time we'll block you from view."

I debated who to call. Blaine is probably freaking out but that's who they'll expect me to call so it isn't safe. Plus he can't come get me! Madison wouldn't be much help. I could call  Paul or Trent!

I dialed Trent's number and he picked up on the fifth ring. "Hello?"

"Trent I need you to come get me." I said near tears now that everything was sinking in. "I'm in the Glades."

"Brooke!" He shouted.

"Yeah it's me." I sighed.

"Blaine's here he's been looking everywhere for you. He even called the cops. There's like a man hunt for you. He told the police everything. Nixon is done for." Trent said.

"Well that's great but I still need someone to get me. They're after me and I'm hiding." I said softly.

"Where are you? Paul has his keys."

"Jay where are we exactly?" I asked tapping his shoulder.

"Uh, tell him you'll be at 324 West Lincoln Drive second floor apartment 24, and hurry up because it looks like your friends are looking this way." Jay said nodding for two of his bigger buddies to handle our issue.

"You hear that?" I asked Trent.

"I did. He's on his way Brooke. Hang in there." He sighed. "This is gonna be fine."

"I gotta go. Hurry!" I ended the call and let Jay lead me to the apartment with the remaining friends of his to hide.

"This is nuts. What happened to get those dudes after you?" Jay asked.

"I date a guy who used to work for they're boss and he's not such a nice guy." I told him kinda the truth. "He wants me as leverage."

"Sounds like Nixon Hanley." Jay laughed making my blood cold.

"How'd you know?"

"Shit girl!" He jumped up. "Nixon killed my brother! How'd you get involved with him?"

"It's a long story." I felt tears well up again. "I just need to get home."

"Hey don't cry pretty girl." One of Jay's friends hugged me making my side hurt from everything I'd been through today. "You're friends are on they're way and no one knows you're here."

"You're right. Thank you guys so much this means the world to me!" I hugged him back. "Everything is going to be fine."

Knock! Knock! Knock!