Chapter Ten

My head was pounded As I awoke, my forehead drenched with sticky, sweat. My heart hammered at my chest and I paused everything to catch my breath. Breathing deeply, I threw the covers from my body, shocked at the sudden cold in the air. I fumbled through the half-hearted light to get ready for school.

I could hear dull murmurs of voices coming from the kitchen and decide to investigate, although, knowing my oh-so-great amount of luck with that, especially after the other night, I went at it a little bit differently.

Grabbing hold of the first thing I could find, I crept down the wooden stairs, overly aware of the creaky hot-spots, I dodged the, narrowly. The murmurs turned into voices the closer I got.

Recognisable voices.

I breathed a sigh of relief, and stopped in front of the archway to the kitchen.

"Gabby, why are you holding a slipper?" Rob mused, a small grin etching its way into his amused face.

I studied Rob, his blonde locks were scraped back, in a messy look, he supported a blue button up shit, with the two top buttons undone, his jeans were a darker shade and were tainted with fashionable rips and scrapes. He shoved his hands into his pockets and raised his eyebrows at me.

"Why are you in my house?"

He blushed, coughing a little and rubbing his nose lightly with the back of his palm. He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted at the last minute.

"Robert's offered to drive you to school before church," my dad gushed, stepping out from the other room, "I thought it was a kind gesture." He added, urging me to go with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

I rolled my eyes at him, turning back to Robert, I was grateful to say the least, I found that helping out at the church lately had become uninteresting, dull. I say lately, it's more like since the night with Adam.

More or less.

And I really didn't want to go today.

  It had been a few days, five to be exact, and every single day of school since he took me to that club, Adam had been watching me like a hawk, he was everywhere. I'd be on the way to the toilet and he'd be in the corridor, watching-- Not watching me pee. Just watching me walk there. Or I'd be in the lunch line, and he'd be there, standing in his usual corner. Watching.

It wasn't though he looked bored, whilst watching, it didn't look like he was forced to, more so that he was... observing? But obviously that wasn't the case, and he just thinks I'm a snitch and wants to protect himself.

Even the kids at school had began noticing it, I mean this was practically an alien invasion. Adam never showed up to school, even on a good day, the last time he had been in school before all this, was a few days after the fight with Jayden.

It was a mystery, and I hate unsolved mysteries.

I threw the slipper to the floor, and gave Rob a thankful smile, I think he may have caught on that I didn't want to go to church in the mornings.

Maybe it was the constant complaining.

Or maybe he just had a sixth sense.

Without second thought, I decided to skip breakfast, knowing Rob's reputation with the microwave, and nodded my head towards the door, motioning Rob to leave.