Chapter Forty

{UNEDITED}

-

"Bad like what?" Rob blurted, seemingly confused.

She was hiccuping now, spluttering and sniffing, "I-- it was just-- I couldn't--"

I didn't hear anything for a while, only the muffled sounds of her sobbing, I pictured him hugging her, that was a very Rob thing to do.

"If I'd known about her I wouldn't of stepped in, I would've left her all alone. I wouldn't have even gotten involved. But I did and I can't go back now. Oh God, all of this has just got so out of hand- I can't-- it was so wrong. You can't ever tell Gabby! You have to promise me Rob! Yo-you can't say anything..."

She sounded absolutely hysterical, her voice was uncontrollably jumbled, from high pitch to low pitch, intertwined with hiccups, I almost felt sorry for her. There was a dull ache inside that wanted to comfort her, forgive her for whatever she had done.

I knew better than that now. I had to channel my inner Adam, what would he do? Probably give not a single care in the world, or just punch her in the face and be done with it. Maybe I shouldn't tap into my inner Adam.

There wasn't a single ounce of hesitation, "I won't."

I would've gasped, but I held myself back. Placing my small hand over my mouth, silencing the need to scream at her, I knew I needed some answers. His answer didn't sit well with me at all. Betrayal singed the tip of my tongue, and I bit back another onset of tears.

Her answer was so quiet I almost thought I had heard it wrong. "I'm the reason Gabby's father's church is being demolished."

My heart leapt to my throat, I couldn't stop myself from turning around the corner and facing her. She saw me as soon as I stepped out of the shadows, her head snapping up to meet my eyes. Even Rob's face held surprise.

I felt physically sick to my stomach, contemplated sitting down to yell at her, but thought better of it. Maybe after all this time being with Adam I had actually gained part of his courage, or stupidity, whatever you want to call it. It was invigorating yet equally painful.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I spat, accusation knowingly laced in my voice. Not like I needed to accuse her of anything, she just gave me a confession.

Her face whipped to Rob's, her deep brown eyes narrowing, "You knew she was there, didn't you? You were trying to-" She was cut off my another wave of tears, streaming the line of makeup down her face.

He said nothing for a moment, not taking any notice of her, his eyes were solely on me, and probably my horrified face. "You owe Gab's an explanation."

I raised my eyebrows at her, feeling like a completely different person, "How the hell is it your fault?"

She began to move, speedily, but before she could get anywhere Rob jutted his arm out and held it against the wall, effectively trapping her.

It suddenly felt like an interrogation, but Andrea complied before I chickened out. "My Mum was transferred here because of her work." She spluttered.

I nodded for her to continue, it didn't explain anything and her cryptic answers were getting on my nerves. More than just my nerves, the frustration was endless.

"I never knew I'd be going to the same school as you, if I'd have known I never would have done it, I just met you and I didn't know your name it was fate's cruel way of punishing me. But I overheard my Mama and she just gets so involved in her work, I want to make her so proud. She cornered me, I couldn't say no. How can I say no to my own Mama?"

She was back to being hysterical. "I don't expect you to forgive me, just please, I can't look at your face without seeing what my Mama made me do. Just leave me alone, I'm sorry."

"I don't understand? What's happened? What does your mum have to do with this?"

"She's a lawyer, Gabby. She's a civil lawyer, she deals with civil affairs. Like lawsuits. Or demolishing churches to build city things."

Even Rob took a step away from her, the look of clear disbelief plastered on his face.

"What did she make you do?" I was angry again now. None of this was right, I was sure to go into a state of shock at any moment now.

"I couldn't say no. I just couldn't."

"What did you do?" It was Rob now, he was by my side.

Her eyes flickered between us, glassy and tearful, like a deer caught in the headlights. "She got me to get details to help her win the case, she got me to spy on you."

The next thing happened too quickly for me to stop myself, before I knew it I was on top of her, both on the ground, laying punch after punch. I couldn't see straight, somehow all of my problems including Adam's problems, in my mind; in that split second of a moment were all because of her. All somehow relaying back to Andrea's betrayal. Not only to our friendship, but to my whole family, my father's career and passion and the church my parents built together.

I was a moment of lost control, even when the shouting started I couldn't stop. I'd lost a part of myself completely, the sane part, I was sure.

I kept hitting her, not even solid punches, some were slaps, kicks, or just pulling at her hair. She was screaming for me to stop.

It took Rob to physically pull me off her, to stop me.

That was when I noticed the crowd that had gathered, all with their phones shining onto my face, snapping pictures and laughing. Out of everything, the laughter was the most unbearable.

It wasn't even directed at me, that was the worst part.

I looked back to Andrea on the floor, her face was already swelling and the pit of guilt and despair began to form in my stomach.

He dragged me away from the crowd pretty quickly, it was only when we were in his car that I broke down crying.

It was as if the flood gates had opened, it was unstoppable; I was pulled into Rob's lap with a strong grip.

It was comfort I definitely didn't deserve.