Chapter Thirty-Six

{UNEDITED}

-

"Who are you calling?" I questioned, watching Adam pull out his phone, placing it to his ear.

He rolled his eyes, "You tell a girl you're dying and suddenly she wants to know everything about you--" His sly smirk only widened when I shook my head at him yanking my hand up to hit him.

Out of nowhere, he caught my hand mid-air and tugged it until he could wrap his free arm around me, still pressing the phone to his ear.

"It's Lincoln, he wasn't at his house, I'm calling him down. Shouldn't take long.

I went to speak again, but he held a finger up to my lips, one arm tightly hanging on my shoulder, I didn't move an inch.

"Look, it's Adam. I know how to sort out the Everett shit, come down-- yeah... Well if he wants a fight he'll fucking get one. Just-- Right. Well, just meet me at my place when you can."

I pulled myself away from him, "Are you going to fight him?"

He nodded, "If it comes to that."

"Isn't that a horrible idea, though? What if something could happen, you could get even more hurt than you already are?"

He laced his arms on my shoulders, "Calm down, sunshine, it's not a big deal. I've been doing this since I could walk on my own two feet. I think I can handle one more fight. Don't get yourself worked up."

"Worked up? Oh, you haven't seen me worked up yet. Do you even think of what would I do if you got hurt? It's so dangerous, Adam. Please just don't fight him."

He pulled me towards him again, placing his lips, so lightly I could've mistaken them for a feather if we weren't this close, on my neck. It was a quick peck, but it left me tingling all the way down my spine, to the tips of my toes.

"I won't fight him." He concluded, "We'll just have to find a way past that."

I released a sigh of relief, sagging my shoulders and resting my head against his chest.

"Can I come with?"

"Absolutely not." He pulled away, "And that's final."

I furrowed my brows, "Why not?"

He threw me a pointed look, "It's too dangerous."

"If it's too dangerous for me then it's certainly too dangerous for the boy with the brain tumour."

"Boy? Man with the brain tumour, sweetheart. And besides, I've done this before. I mean what would you rather? Me not going to sort it out with Everett and have his goons come after me, and most possibly you. Or me go and fight a few people, sort it all out and have a happily every after?"

"You just told me you weren't going to fight anyone!"

"Did I?"

"Yes. Adam."

"Oh."

"I'm still going." I stated, shaking my head at him, just as a black car pulled onto his drive.

He sighed, "Okay, get your shoes on, then." I looked down at my feet only then noticing my fluffy blue socks, I had taken my shoes off as I came through the door.

Speedily, I began making my way to my shoes, passing through the doorway. But it closed as soon as I passed through onto the other side, the unmistakable sound of locking just as it closed shut.

I whipped around and stared directly at Adam, throwing me a desperate plea, "It's for your on benefit!" he shouted through the closed doorway, before sprinting off towards the car. I shoved myself against the door in a hurry, grasping at the handle, twisting and turning. But it was no use, it was locked.