Chapter Twenty

OKAY GUYS HOLY FUCKING SHIT I'M ACTUALLY DEAD, I KNOW I SAID UPDATES WERE SLOW BUT GOD DAMN YOU DESERVE THIS. 50K LIKE HOW DID THIS EVEN HAPPEN?

50K - 19/05/17

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I LOVE YOU ALL, HERE'S A SPECIAL CHAPTER FOR YOU ALL.

[UNEDITED]

I fumbled with my fingers, pinching and pulling at the skin as my legs bounced up and down from the floor. My head pounded; the light in the room stabbed at my eyes, in a stinging white which would flicker every minute or so. 

  Looking back down at my fingers, I couldn't bear to peek at him for another tedious second, my blood rushed through my ears in a deathly silence and I was once again reminded of hours before.

My breath caught in my throat, with a bitter, sour taste. Wrenching my eyes shut, I unclasped my fingers, and wiped sweat on my jeans.

It had been hours. Hours which had felt like centuries, the only concept of time was the rhythmic sound of his heartbeat monitor, reminding me that he was alive.

I found myself subconsciously drawing my eyes over to him; his dishevelled hair, poking out erratically, the sunken black circles clasped around his shut eyes, his deathly, immovable, cold hands which were frozen in time, the same position they were in hours before.

"Would you like to phone his parents?"

  I snapped up, startled at the voice. My head had whipped to the side, and I looked at the concerned nurse, stood expectantly at the door's frame.

  Slowly, I shook my head, I didn't know his parents, I didn't know their number and Jimmy had left hours ago, and honestly I hadn't even thought of calling them.

  A wrenching guilt struck my stomach, and I thought to Adam's parents and the worry they must be feeling. Peeking back up to the nurse, I opened my mouth to ask her, but my words were dry, lost in the caves of my throat. Wedged in the tangles of guilt, I tried not to think of his parents.

  If I hadn't have gotten in that argument with Rob in the first place, we wouldn't have even been here.

  The nurse gazed at me, in what looked to be sympathy, and nodded, murmuring about how she'll get it up on the system, before gliding out of the room silently.

My heart clenched as I subconsciously looked back over at him. I didn't know how long I was staring for it could've been minutes, seconds or hours; soon enough he stirred.

It was the smallest of movements, but in the state I was in it was equivalent to him jumping up and down, or running a marathon. My heart raced, so loud I could feel it thumping in my ears all the way down to the throbbing in my toes. I let out a shaky breath and stood, uneasily.

I wobbled over to the door the nurse had left through, I could see through the clustered mess of people that she was on the phone. I contemplated going straight to her, shaking and yelling for her to come, but I was frozen in place.

I looked over my shoulder back to Adam, and it was as if nothing had changed.

  "Hello?"

  I flinched away from the voice, my body on high-alert as  I flew around at the speed of light.

  "I'm Adam's doctor, are you family?" The doctor was short, with a plump, rosy face which crinkled around his eyes, which were gazing at me expectantly.

  "What's wrong with him?" I avoided, flickering my eyes back to Adam. 

  The doctor glared at me, "Are you family, Miss?" He questioned raising one eyebrow, quizzically; settling his clipboard between his rotund arms. 

  I blinked, twice. 

  "Miss, I can't disclose any information about my patient, if you aren't immediate family. I apologise for the inconvenience." His lips split open slightly, and released a hearty sigh.

  I gulped, uneasily and watched his back pass through the door. A wave of regret passed through me, and I longed to call the doctor back, to tell him I was Adam's sister, or cousin or anything. 

  But I knew I wouldn't. 

  Because worse than the regret I was felling now, would be the clawing anxiety that followed a tangle of irrevocable lies. More so when his parents would arrive and witness Adam's long-lost sister that they never knew of or had even heard of until now.

  I slapped my palm to my forehead, groaning inaudibly and ran my hands down my face as I looked over to Adam. 

  Only to see his black orbs, wide-eyed, and glaring at me.

  "You're awake." I stated, dumbfounded, I shook my head slightly. moving my hands to the side of my torso awkwardly. 

  His stare fixated on me, harsh and cold. Though the light betrayed it, piercing his iris like a bullet, dazzling the black surface with a flurry of colour; a spectrum of brown splintered in his eyes. For a moment I was lost in his kaleidoscope.

  "Get out." 

  The two words were spat out of him as though they were burning the tips of his tongue. I stumbled, muttering out a meek, "What?" 

  "Leave."

  His voice was hoarse, scratching the sides of his throat and I was hit with a wave of confusion. I shook my head again, as my eyebrows furrowed involuntarily.

 I stuttered as the air was knocked out of my lungs, "Why?"

"Just leave!" He shouted, suddenly, the silence was filled with erratic beeps and Adam shuffled to sit up, struggling against his current state.

  A flock of nurses barged in, demanding me to leave vicious glares were thrown like daggers my way, a cluster of hands and arms physically barrelling me out the door. 

  So I left.

  Sniffling, I wiped at my nose and darted out of the crowded room, keeping my head down. I felt heat flare in my cheeks, and a pressure in my chest. Out of nowhere, I collided into something. 

  Snapping my head up ready to apologise, I was faced with a surprisingly attractive woman, she was inches taller than me, with flowing black hair which caught the light at all angles. She was clad in a grey blazer, fitted to her thin body with matching grey trousers and smart black shoes. 

  "Watch it." She snapped, icily. 

  I recoiled for the second time today, feeling a new wave of moisture fill my eyes. "Sorry," I murmured, flicking my eyes away from her striking blue ones. 

  She tutted, grumbling under her breath. As she barged past me, tucking her hair behind her ear and peeping down at her phone, clutched between her fingers.

  I watched her for a moment, stunned at how people could be so rude, and I found myself making up scenarios, different little perspectives and allowed her blunt rudeness to slide. I didn't know a thing about her, she could be having the worst day of her life. 

  All this ended when I knew who she was.; it was the moment she slipped into Adam's room.

  She was Bailey.