Chapter 13

"Crap, crap, crap. We have to find this out ourselves. If we don't, I don't know what will happen." I said.
"I agree, if we don't, something bad will definitely happen. Do you know what this means?" He responded.
"Snooping?! Shawn Spencering?! Burton Gustering?! Poking people with spontoons?!" I answered immediately.
"No, you're crazy. I'm just glad you didn't say murder." Luke said.
"Oh, that was my next choice." I replied way to happily. He looked at me like I had three heads....and was from a mental asylum. I don't blame him.
"Okayyyy, um, you are officially-" he started.
"Insane? Crazy? Yeah, I'm surprised you didn't figure this out sooner." Yeah, it was an awkward conversation. This is kinda my thing. I scared Hannah silly when she was 6. Hey, that's what she gets for embarrassing me on purpose in front of some kids in Maryland. It was when we moved there for fourth grade and when I didn't know anyone.
"We are gonna have to snoop. Possibly spy/stalk people too." Luke commanded. Right then and there, as soon as he said it, I just had to. A sly smirk grew across my face.
"Nathan Hale is back, baby!" I yelled.
"No, not now!" Briar whined as she walked in the front door. I looked at her like she was forgetting something. She sighed in defeat and gave in.
"'Tis I, Sybil Ludington." She said with a disgusted look on her face. I smiled.
"What is this?" Luke asked.
"In 5th grade Heidi had to give us all stupid nicknames from the Revolutionary War. At least I'm not stuck with Assistant Coach Wash like Bailey. Did I mention, she managed to do this while she was in Maryland!" She explained he nodded.
"Ok, back on topic. What's the plan?" I asked. All three of us sat in silence.
"Just to be clear, is killing her out of the-"
"YES!" Luke yelled.
"Actually, maybe not. Can you be arrested for killing a two-thousand year old mermaid?" He asked.
"I can ask, my dad probably knows these things. Dad!" I yelled. He ran up the steps.
"What? Is there a fire? Serious bleeding?"
"Uh, no. Can you be charged for murder if you kill a two-thousand year old mermaid?" I asked.
"Well, I don't think so. We never learned that at the academy....go for it." He walked back down the steps.
"How do neither of your parents or either of us question these things?" Briar pointed out. I shrugged.
"Ok, so we need a plan..." Luke trailed on.
"Right, a plan." Briar and I said in unison. Once again, silence.
"What if we-actually, first we gotta find out some information. We should probably get to snooping before we decide on one." Briar suggested.
"Then what are we waiting for?" I said.
"Uh, Heidi, aren't you forgetting something? And that something is that Briar is human." Luke whispered in my ear.
"Don't worry, I have that covered." I whispered back.
"I know your talking about me, I'm not an idiot." Briar retorted.
"In fact, we are. And I know how to make this work." I said as I gestured to her. She looked at me like she had no idea what I was talking about. Probably because she doesn't.
"So remember when I was experimenting and found a way to turn you into a mermaid?" I started.
"Precisely, yes. I remember we wrecked my room and my parents and my sister nearly found out." She said.
"You have a sister? You seem like an only child." We looked at Luke.
"That's the only thing you heard, wasn't it?" Briar sneered. He shook his head.
"No, I heard...that thing...." he said.
"Ooh, guys! Maybe we could Brayden to help us with this. You know, he patrols land, we patrol the sea."
"Yeah that's pretty good." Luke commented.
"We're making progress!" Briar cheered. We continued walking.
"Briar, come with me. Luke, meet us in the cave." I instructed. Briar and I branched off. I didn't want to take her to the cave for two reasons. One, because of the sudden darkness, it could affect her. Like, she could become a siren or evil mermaid. Two, it could possibly not work. It could be losing it's magic,it's possible. So, I did lots of research, jk I just asked Brynn, and discovered that you can use spells. Kinda the opposite of what happened to Brynn. I took Briar to the small cove where that little girl lived. Shelby was great. Apparently, you could walk to the little cove thing. You just cut through the woods. It is VERY hidden though; it's hard to find at first.
"Ok, Briar. We are gonna get into that water and I'm gonna turn you into a mermaid. So-"
"Girl, I'm not turning into some fish just for this stupid mission, no offense"
"I'm not doing it forever, it's only temporary. For 2 months, that's it." I explained. She pursed her lips.
"What's the perks?" She asked.
"Um, you get to see...stuff that is...pretty good stuff and-"
"I'll do it! Just stop, your lack of, well, everything, is painful. Do the dang spell." She exclaimed. I shot a glare at her.
"You have to read it," I said as I handed her the price of crumbled paper from my sweat jacket. We both stepped in the water. My tail came back while she was obviously freezing to death.
"So, I just read this?" She asked. I nodded.
"Yeah I took the saying from the cave. I'm praying to God that this will work." I responded.
"Uh, can you, like, go over there. I kinda want privacy." Briar has always been picky about privacy. I sighed.
"Sure, whatever. Just call me over when your done." I sighed. I swam over-and turned around so I "wouldn't be making eye contact" as Briar likes to say-to the little section just outside the cove. I was playing with my hair when I heard:
"Heidi, you can come over now!" Finally! I swam over and there was Briar. She had a marigold colored tail.
"Great, let's go. Do you know ho-"
"Yeah, I watched you enough. Let's go." She said. We dove under and started swimming.
I'm sorry I haven't been updating. There will probably be 10 chapters left. Maybe more. Maybe less. I may do a book after the next book. I was thinking senior year/college. I hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading.
~rainbowmorkie