Chapter 20

Please don't let me die. I'm to young. And I've never done anything wrong...well, not wrong enough for me to die. Like, I'm just an innocent 15 year old mermaid who doesn't deserved to die or be kidnapped. Help me, please, please, please! If this is the end, give all my Hamilton and art stuff to Briar. She can figure out things, or sell them for makeup. I'm go-
"Sorry, I didn't mean to freak you out. Just, don't freak out." The person slowly took their hand off of my mouth.
"Who in their right mind would do this?! I thought I was gonn-Carson? What are you doing here in this wide, dark, open, empty field?" Yeah, that sounded better in my head.
"No specific reason. Why are you here?"
"No specific reason." I replied. He narrowed his eyes.
"You're not gonna tell me unless I tell you, right?" I nodded.
"Fine, if I tell you, you can't tell a single soul."
"I won't,"
"I'm a phoenix."
"Cool, hey do you what time it is?" I asked.
"Wait, you are so cool about this. Why?"
"Do you know what time it is?" I repeated.
"11:45."
"I gotta go! Bye!" I started to run off. I stopped.
"Wait, they will be at the cave tomorrow as in 15 minutes?" I yelled back to Carson.
"Yeah."
"Thanks." I continued running and took out my phone. Text messages, Luke and Briar group chat, and.....send. I told them to meet me at the beach. We'll swim to the cave together. I turned the corner and was there. Yep, they aren't here. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait it out. Then I heard them running down.
"We're here! It's 12:03 and we are early." Briar called.
"Well, we have to get there quick. We'll miss her if we don't." All three of us dove into the water and started swimming toward the cave. We snuck in and saw the women.
"Guys, I'm gonna go back. I forgot I have to tutor Brayden." I looked at Briar.
"Just go. You can help us from land." I responded. She left.
"Ok, looks like it's just us two. Let's split up. I'll stay here and you try to find the other person." He nodded. "Wait, take this with you." I handed him a charm of two mers; a girl and boy.
"It's good luck." He smiled and thanked me. Then he left. I swam farther into the cave. I sat on the bottom of the pool and tried to eavesdrop.
"Yes, you better be here. This will complete our plan and we'll be ruler of them all." The mermaid snickered. I heard more mumbling but I couldn't make out what she was saying. I knew that I had to get closer to her. I swam up further and broke the surface. Making a splash in the process. It wasn't loud, but was loud enough to be heard. She turned around and saw me.
"I gotta go." She hung up her phone and started to swim toward me.
"Why are you here?" She sneered.
"Uh...this isn't the mall?"
"Kid, I'm not an idiot. Why are you here?" She asked again.
"Uh..."
"Wait, were you spying on me? Were you trying to be the hero and save the day? Were you trying to defeat the big, bad, mermaid?" She taunted.
"Maybe," I mumbled.
"Oh, sweetheart, tsk, tsk, tsk, that's not gonna work. You know what this means?"
"N-no." She didn't answer. She was rubbing this jewel on her necklace.  My tail was tingling....and slowly disappearing? Oh. My. God. I was losing my tail! No! Instead of my tail, it was my legs.
"Now, how's it feel being the hero?" She mocked. Anger was boiling up inside me. I snuck up behind her, stole the necklace, and shoved her up against the wall. I dove under and started swimming. Dear God, please let swim team pay off. I have to say, I'm still a pretty fast swimmer.
"You retched girl! Get back here!" She shrieked. Now, where to go. I looked around and saw a bunch of rocks. I started to swim over there then I couldn't go any further. I turned around and my foot was stuck between two pieces of coral. Like, really stuck. I tried to pull my foot out but it seemed every time I did it, my foot would just get more stuck. Then I saw Luke.
"Luke!" I screamed. Actually it came out more muffled and sounded like gibberish. Luckily, it was enough for him to glance over.
"What happened?" He asked. I shrugged.
"You don't know?" I shook my head and pointed to the coral.
"Right." He tried but couldn't get my foot out. Then he found a rock and smashed it.
"Go, it seems like someone is looking for you. I'll take care of it." Trust me, I didn't want to leave him but I needed air. I know, I'll get a quick breath of air and come back down. I started swimming up to the surface and got a quick breath. Then I swam back down as quick as I could.
"Why are you back?" He asked. I just started swimming.
"You. Are. Not. Helping. Me. You're gonna end up dying! You're crazy, Heidi!" I just shook my head.
"There you are!" Oh great, she's back.
"Heidi, go. I'll take care of this. After all, you're human." I grabbed his and but he refused to move. I glared at him and let go.
"Heidi, go. We have to go now!" He grabbed my hand and started swimming and dragging me behind. Oh, so he can grab my hand but I can't grab his?! What's that about!?
"Here go ahead, I'll be right behind you." I nodded and continued swimming.
"Go to the cave." Luke instructed. Got it. I was swimming toward the cave and no evil mermaid was in sight. I broke the surface.
"Luke! Luke! We made it." Except there was no answer...or no one was in or around the cave.
"Luke?" I yelped. I dove under the water and didn't see anyone. No evil mermaid, but no good merman either. There was something sparkling on the bottom of the sand. I went down and...it was the charm I gave him. I gingerly picked it up. I shook my head in disbelief. No, it can't be. Tears were streaming down my face, I just couldn't tell the difference between water and tears. I swam back up to the cave.
"No! Luke." My wet hair was falling in my face as I cried into my arms. He was gone. But, is that evil mermaid gone? I looked at the picture and it was gone. I'm guessing that means that she's gone. And the cave seemed to be gaining its color again. Well, I guess the only thing I could do was go home. I started swimming back to my beach. When I got there, it was 4 in the morning and it seemed completely deserted. The only thing that went through my mind though was, how am I gonna break the news to everyone?
So, there may be a very short chapter after this or this is the last chapter. I will probably have one short chapter and that will be out today because I want to finish this book. I know, this chapter was sad and was kinda bad but you'll like the next book. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed.
~rainbowmorkie