Chapter 15

Hide. The only word on my mind. The problem is, there is no where to go. It's ligit a big, deep, box filled with water. The only things in the pool are the big rope thingy that separates the lanes. Ugh! Ok, my plan is to stay on the far side of the pool. The part that is shorter than the main pool. It's where the diving boards are...and only five team goes there! Yes! There's no dive team coming today! Win...kinda. But, you get it. I swam over to that part of the pool, just in time too.
"Ok girls, let's get warmed up. We will start with our stretches and then move on to laps. You know the drill." The team started doing as Sydney instructed. I guess I'm just gonna camp out on the bottom for a while. I dove down and sat there. It was boring. No phone, no paper, no sketchbook, not even a book. Just sitting and waiting.
"Why are you here?" Sydney asked someone.
"I have to meet Heidi." Brayden replied. Brayden! I'm saved!
"Oh, she actually just left. She went looking for you. I think she went to the other pool." She lied. Oh. No. She. Didn't. I just wanted to burst out of the water and yell, "I'm over here!" But I couldn't.
"Ok, I'll look there then." He walked away. No! I'm so gonna kill this girl when I get out. You know what? That's it! I have powers, why can't I just distract the girls? I concentrated really hard. Small waves began to form, making the pool water rise.
"Uh, Sydney?" One of the girls asked.
"Get out, get out, get out!" Yelled Sydney. One by one, the girls got out.
3, 2, 1
A giant explosion of water shot up and all over the girls. Sorry, it seemed appropriate. I climbed out while they were distracted. Hurry, transform already! I felt the tingly sensation. My legs, my beautiful legs! I snuck behind them.
"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! THIS BRAZILIAN BLOWOUT TOOK HOURS! AAARRRGGGGHH!" I heard Sydney scream. I stifled a laugh. I ran to the other pool and saw Brayden.
"Brayden!" I called. He looked up from his phone.
"Where were you?! I've been looking for you for the past hour!" He scolded. That's when it hit me. She knows. I swear, only 2% of this school isn't brainwashed by Sydney and her parents. They'll believe anything she'll say. Anything. I could end up as an experiment. Tears filled my eyes.
"Heidi, are you...ok?" His voice was much calmer. I shook my head.
"No! She knows everything." I sobbed.
"Wha- who?" He asked.
"She knows I'm a fish! Sydney does!" I sputtered. His face went blank. He knew what would happen.
"You have to tell Luke and Briar. Especially your mom."
"I can't! They'll all lecture me about how I'm supposed to be responsible. This is something you can't let slip!"
"Let's go. I'll tell you later." I nodded. We walked out of the room.
"Brayden, you know your friend is part fish, right?" He turned around.
"I do, Sydney."
"Oh, and Heidi, don't be surprised if you ever end up in a tank." She giggled and walked away. My face turned as pale as a ghost. A tank? A lab? I ran. I just wanted to get out of here and never come back. I want to disappear of the face of the earth.
"Heidi, come back!" I heard Brayden yell. No way. I bashed through the doors and dove into the water. I swam to the cove by Shelby's house. When I got there I leaned against a rock and sunk into the water, only my nose and everything above that showed. I let my hair float freely on the water. I flicked my tail in the water.
Sometimes, I just wish I have never found that cave. Or never got this stupid tail. All it does is ruin my life. And because of this dumb tail Sydney Rydell knows. Why me?
I thought as I glared at the turquoise scales. I blew bubbles and they rose to the surface. I glared at the tail in silence.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I thought. Why is my life so dramatic. First, I'm pulled into the world of mermaids. Then, I end up dating my crush, after breaking up with him and then dating him again. Next, mers (including my mom) are losing their tails. Don't forget Sydney finding out I'm a fish, too.
Yep, I blew this. My life is officially over. Goodbye everyone. Click, boom! Yep, now I'm making Hamilton references. Why can't I stay here for the rest of my life? Ugh! And why does this tail have to be so bulky and annoying! Crap: that's my life!
A voice pulled me from my thoughts.
"Why whenever I see you, you're sad?"
"I don't know Shelby. I guess I'm just having a crappy day." I said.
"Why, and remember, I watch "Dance Moms" and a bunch of reality TV with mommy." Shelby said.
"My worst enemy found out in I'm a fish-"
"Mermaid." She corrected.
"Yeah, and she is probably gonna tell everyone at school. There's only about 2% of sane people at that school that aren't under her spell." She cringed.
"That is bad. What's her last name?" She asked.
"Rydell."
"T-that's my step sister." She mumbled.
"What?! Y-"
"Don't worry, I hate her too. She is so mean to me. She doesn't live here anymore, our parents divorced. I barely see her, thankfully." She replied.
"Phew, I was worried." I said. She giggled.
"Um, I think someone else is here for you. Bye."
"Bye, Shelby." I turned around.
"Heidi, are you alright?"
"Yeah, Luke. I'm fine." I whispered.
"I know you, and I can tell you aren't alright. But, how'd she find out?"
"Fine, I'm terrible. She wanted my necklace and we fell in the saltwater pool. She saw my tail and then purposely made me sit at the bottom of the pool for two and a half hours so I wouldn't risk further exposure."
"Oh, I'll leave you alone. I'll tell Briar too." I nodded.
"Thanks." He dove under and started swimming away. I did what I did before, I sunk into the water. I guess I felt a tiny bit better.
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed. This A/N is short.
~rainbowmorkie