into the fire

Come on, come on
Put your hands into the fire
Explain, explain
As I turn, I meet the power

He pushed himself against the door, bumped into a couple of nurses and doctors. He Almost tackled some of the patients and tripped by the way he was running but he didn't stop. He reached the reception, breathing loudly. He could barely make up her name, it was Kono that called for him when she saw him. She and chin were the first ones that got to the hospital, Chin was Amelia's emergency call so the doctors got to him first. Steve was sleeping on his bed when he heard his phone ringing, he knew got couldn't be good. No one called at that time without having something bad to say. When chin told him Amelia was in the hospital, he got dressed in a matter of seconds and left the house. The time was 4 am in the morning, the streets were empty.

Chin told him that the cops were late to the scene, whoever was driving the other car they never called in the accident. Steve punched his head on the nearest wall in anger. Chin told him she wounded her stomach pretty bad and her back on the accident but the doctors were more worried about her head. They were doing their best to save her.

Steve sat on one of the chars in the waiting room and started rubbing his head, like he was trying to clean his thoughts but he couldn't. Kono left them alone and went to get coffee fir everyone, it seemed like they were going to need it. Chin sat next to Steve and squeezed his shoulder in a comforting away. Steve tilted his head to look at him "I'm sorry man I should have told you-"
"tell me what?"
Steve pulled away from chin and cleared his throat "she's been meeting with Adam Noshimuri for some time now. I tried asking her what it was about but she wouldn't talk to me- maybe this was about him and the Yakuza-" Chin stood up, looking pissed. Steve felt guilty for not telling him sooner, what if this was the Yakuza? What if it never happened if he had followed her, was this his fault? Of course it was, Steve was always finding a way to blame himself and this time was no exception. It was him, he did this.

"how long did you know about her looking into Yakuza?"
"she's been looking at it for a while, ever since New York but I only saw her with Adam this morning- when I asked her about him the only thing she told me is that they went out for coffee, that they are friends-"
"you should have told me Steve!" he snapped, his voice raising.
"I know! I know I'm sorry- I was going to I promise-"

"hey guys! Calm Down! Fighting with each other won't get us anywhere" said Kono, handing them their coffee. Both men looked away because they knew she was right. All they could do right now was wait. Wait for the doctors, wait for a miracle. Wait for anything but this.

Danny joined them a few minutes later, he came running in and asked for the details. Chin answered all his questions but Steve remained silent. He had his chin balanced on his hands, looking at the hospital floor like there was something interesting about it. Then he unexpectedly stood up and left, Danny went to follow but Kono stopped him and told him she'd go instead. Kono followed Steve into an empty room and closed the door behind them.

"boss" she tried, looking compassionately at him. He looked up only for a small second and away again. She went closer and held his arm, stroking it gently "hey look at me. I know you're blaming yourself but if there's someone to blame it's me."

Steve stared at her confused.

"Amelia reached out to Adam a few days ago. She asked him about whether he had ever seen her mum around the house before and he had." Kono felt her eyes begin to tear up but continued "that's what they were meeting about, he was trying to help. This morning they went to see Hiro Noshimuri together, he took her there and she talked with him. I don't know what he told her but I should have stopped her- she should have never gone to Hiro-"