041: i n t e r v i e w

Interviewer: I'm here with Cynthia Somerhalder who plays Charlotte on The Vampire Diaries and The Originals and we're going to find out about the upcoming seasons and life on and off set. We're going to live streaming this interview and we're going to find out what questions the viewers have for you. Username1 wants to know what  you think the biggest problem for your character will be this season?

Cynthia: As far as The Originals goes Charlotte is going to be exploring her relationship with Klaus and trying to decide if she can give him her trust again and we'll kind of test the strength of their relationship to see if it is going to be a long term thing or if it's going to be falling apart. In terms of The Vampire Diaries though, I think her focus is going to be on the rift between her brothers right now and trying to bridge that while still sort of living between two cities. She's putting a lot on her plate at the moment and I think at some point we're going to have to see how that works against her.

Interviewer: You said that she's got a lot on her plate and so do you obviously with working on both shows. How are you going with working in between two sets?

Cynthia: It's added a lot of hours to my day. Luckily with scheduling it works out reasonably well because so many of the producers, writers and directors work between the two we tend to film at different times wherever possible. Realistically, it's actually a lot easier than you would think. The worst part is when I'll film a couple of episodes on one show and when I come back to the other one nine people are dead, three people have been turned and someone got married.

Interviewer: [laughs] Username2 wants to know who's your best friend on set?

Cynthia: This question is a trap. We're all so close on set, someone's going to get offended no matter who I say umm... Paul and I'm only saying that because he's the one that will never let it go if I don't say him.

Interviewer: Ooh Username3 asks what was your favourite scene to shoot?

Cynthia: I have to say the Mikaelson ball from last season. It was one of the few days where everyone was on set together and even though Paul complained about the dancing all day, I loved it.

Interviewer: And it all came together so well for the episode! Okay Username4 has a big question to ask; Cynseph, just tell us already! We're all dying to know is it real and how does the cast feel about it?

Cynthia: It's something that's been speculated about pretty much since Joseph first joined The Vampire Diaries and I feel like everyone pretty much knows at this point but I'll go on the record and say yes we are together. The cast is all very overly supportive of it. Honesty all the fans are so respectful and polite and then the cast is like barging into my apartment at 3am and screaming every time Joseph and I do anything. The blooper reel this season is going to be interesting because I know for a fact that there is a scene that was interrupted by Paul yelling Cynseph and probably half the episode I directed is in it.

Interviewer: What was it like directing an episode? This is obviously your first time directing, how much did you enjoy the experience?

Cynthia: [laughs] It was interesting... I've seen both Paul and Ian direct in previous episodes and they were really able to take on that role really well but I don't think it's something Julie will be asking me to do again.

Interviewer: It can't have been that bad! What did you do?

Cynthia: Actually I know for sure this one was in the gag reel... So as the director we have to lay out where each prop should go and I decided to swap two tables around for one of the scenes I directed. What I didn't know was that the one I put out was a breakaway table so Joseph was supposed to essentially throw Phoebe onto the table in like a frenzy or whatever and the whole thing shattered beneath her and she ended up getting bruises all up her back from it, I feel so bad about it.

Interviewer: Maybe just stick to your day job?

Cynthia: I probably should, yeah.

Interviewer: Okay last question, what's one reason fans should tune into tonight's episode of The Vampire Diaries?

Cynthia: You get to see me attack Ian with a pair of scissors. It's going to be great.

Interviewer: There you have it guys, The Vampire Diaries is on tonight on the CW! Give it up for my lovely guest, Cynthia Somerhalder!