Ch.5: Unprotected But Protected

The next day, I woke up and I dreaded to go to school.

"Umma, I'm sick," I told my mom. She felt my forehead.

"You're not sick at all! Why do you keep saying that everyday? Quit being lazy!" My mother shouted, yanking the blankets and exposing my body to the cold January air.

"Lauren, you know your studies are important. Get ready for school," she said in a softer tone. I sighed and got out of bed, ready for school. I have no idea how people will treat me after what happened yesterday. I'll surely be the laugh of the whole school.

"Don't feel sad or embarrassed, you're not going to school to impress them anyways. Who cares what people think, you have me," Daehyun said as we walked to school. I simply nodded.

"Daehyun .. Why aren't you like everyone else?" I asked. He looked at me in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Why don't you tease me like they do. Ignore me like they do. Walk away when they see me hurt like they do. Why are you here for me? You're really handsome and nice and I'm just .. Lauren," I said sadly. I have no idea how I got the luck to have a friend like Daehyun, everyone hates me, except for him. He is always there for me for everything, and I don't understand why he supports me unlike everyone else.

"Because I'm your friend. I care for you, and I'm here to show you that it doesn't matter about their teases, you have me. You have your parents, and there are many things in life to smile for," he replied with sincerity, giving me a warm smile. His words caused me to feel slightly better, but they went down the drain as soon as I got to school.

"I have to go to choir now," he said as he hugged me tightly. He did not let go for a while and said,"You mean a lot to me, you really do." I soon saw him walk away from me, disappearing in my sight as my heart pleaded for him to come back so I won't feel the loneliness.

"Ribbit, ribbit~" Someone said as they passed by me and smirked at me. Oh gosh.

"Your face was hilarious, I should give you a toad as a present too!" Another guy exclaimed as he chuckled and walked off. I sighed and began walking but I suddenly fell to the ground. My hands were in pain because I had used them to catch my fall and I heard a smirk. Looking up, there was Jessica with her foot still next to mine as she laughed with her friends.

Since I have nothing to say, I just huffed and walked into the classroom.

"Lauren, you have a 30 in my class. You need to turn in all that missing work," the teacher demanded. All that homework I had done had always been thrown away by Jessica when she passes by to collect them or when Zelo simply decides to jump me and spill out everything in my backpack.

"I'll complete them today, ma'am." I simply replied, getting the five missing assignments I owed. When I got back to my seat, I saw my pencil was broken in half on the desk and my ice cream shaped eraser was gone. I'm not surprised. I simply threw the pencil away and got another one, beginning to work on the assignments.

At lunch, I was eating alone once again because Daehyun was nowhere to be seen. Something weird about him is that although he is my best friend, I don't know his classes, who he talks to, and I don't know much about his family either. Someone interrupted my thoughts when they slammed a tray on the lonely table I was sitting on.

"I hope you loved the present I have you yesterday .. " He smirked.

"Give me your food," Zelo hissed. I looked at him in fear then at my food. I was starving and I had just got my food, so I think it's worth to defend for.

"No," I said firmly. He looked at me in slight shock yet insisted.

"I said, give me your food," he muttered, gritting his teeth. I know what will happen to me if I don't obey, but I'm tired of this. And food is my priority, touch my food, you're dead.