Ch.24: The Past

"And she just left your house?" Zelo asked after I explained what happened yesterday.

"Yeah. Maybe Yongguk was one of her bullies or something?" I suggested.

"Maybe .. a little more than that," Zelo replied.

"You mean-"

"Zelo! Lauren!" Jongup came to to us happily.

"Oh, sup hyung," Zelo attempted a smile.

"Is something going on?" Jongup's smile faded. Wow, he looks so different when he's not smiling ..

"At the mention of Yongguk, Valerie got mad yesterday and we still don't know why," Zelo told him.

Jongup sighed. "It's okay. I don't even know her much anyways."

"But you can get to know her soon, we just need her to be more open to us. And to tell us what Yongguk was to her .." I told him.

Class started and I had to say bye to Zelo, and Valerie sat next to me for band rehearsal. She is definitely a better flute player than all of us, especially Jessica if she would've been here.

I wonder how Jessica is doing. Whether she's still insane, or planning some evil plan, who knows what. One thing's for sure, we won't be seeing her any time soon.

"Yah, rehearsal is over," Valerie interrupted my thoughts. I nodded and put away my instrument.

As Valerie was about to leave, I stopped her.

"Val."

She turned around. "What?"

I walked up to her, determined to know the truth.

"Who is Yongguk to you?"

Her face remained emotionless, and then turned away.

"I'm going to my class."

"Yah! Valerie tell me!" I exclaimed, walking after her in the crowded hallway.

The warning bell rang, the bell that lets you know the bell will ring in a minute. Valerie turned back and saw I was still after her, and she stopped.

"You really want to know?" She asked emotionlessly.

"Yes," I said, a little out of breath from speed-walking after her.

She sighed and thought over something, then took my hand. "Let's go to the rooftop, please."

"But, we'll miss class, the bell is about to-"

I was interrupted by the bell. Great, I'm late.

"Better to be absent than late," Valerie kept walking, almost dragging me if I wasn't walking fast.

We went through the empty hallway and went to some unknown stairs, ones I've never seen before. I walked beside her upstairs quietly and I started to see sunlight. At the top of the stairs, we were at the rooftop.

The rooftop of the school was quite amazing, I've never been here. I would always hang out in the empty hallways, or the rooms that don't have any occupation.

Valerie sat on a old wooden bench next the the edge, and the wind blowed her hair slightly. She looked down at the floor, without saying anything.

"Is it really that serious?" I asked quietly.

She simply nodded.

"What happened," I said in almost a whisper as I sat next to her.