| chapter ten |

' nothing could break their
bond of light and darkness '

' nothing could break their bond of light and darkness '

SILENCE HUNG IN THE AIR OF THE CULLEN AND DENALI RESIDENCE
like the suspended moment before a falling glass shatters on the ground. It seeped into their every pore, like a poison slowly paralysing them from either speech or movement.

It took a few moments for the animal blood drinkers to understand the names the Witch twins, Alec and Jane Volturi, had said. They were all at a loss for words, their minds going blank before something switched on in the Denali sister's brains.

"No! There is no way Sofia is mated to those three!" Tanya yelled, anger and disbelief flooding through her as she took a step forward, eyes holding a raging fire as she refused to believe that their innocent sister was mates to the five most dangerous people, well, vampires in the world.

"Well, it's true," Jane stated, her expression blank but everyone could tell she was irritated. Jane just wanted to take her mate and go home. She couldn't wait to get to know Sofia and imaginations of the future of the two flashed in her mind, a tiny tug pulling at her lips before she was brought back into reality by the voice of her twin brother, the person she couldn't live without in the world, along with their shared mate.

"Now, we must take Sofia back," Alec told them and everyone tensed, the Denali sisters growling in anger as their eyes flashed a dangerous colour. Anger fuelled their body, but in their hearts, a small ball of fear was wrapped tightly inside their heart. Just before they lost their sister to the Volturi, albeit it was her fault for doing something wrong, but it didn't hurt any less. Even though the Volturi has a right to do that, it was still uncalled for.

"You're not taking her!" Kate growled, her lips pulled back into a snarl. The twins glared at the sisters, ready to use any means possible to get their mate back to their home in Italy. Realising this, Carlisle, the leader of the Cullen coven, stepped between the four, breaking their glaring contest.

"Kate, Tanya." Carlisle motioned for them to go to the next room and they did, not before throwing a glared at the twins. Once the three were in the room, Carlisle closed the door and leant against it. "You must understand that Sofia has to go with them; otherwise she'll stay sick. Do you want her to be in pain?" The blonde sisters shook their head, the thought of their baby sister in pain brought sadness to them. The Denali sisters sighed, reluctant to allow the twins to take their sister away but knew they had too. The youngest blonde had finally gotten out of the pain of losing her twin sister; they didn't want to put her through another long term pain just because they were being selfish about her staying with them for the rest of their lives. "Plus, we could always visit her."

"Fine." Kate sighed, her head lowered as she looked at the ground, her nails digging into her skin as she restrained herself from attacking the twins in the other room, even if she couldn't defeat them. Carlisle gave them a reassuring squeeze on their shoulder. He opened the door and allowed them out of the room first where they entered the living room to see Sofia in Alec's arms with the blonde snuggling into him as her breathing relaxed and her heartbeat returned to its average pace.

"If this is for the best, you may take her," Carlisle said as he stood next to his mate and wife, Esme. The witch twins nodded at the older wise male, turning on their heels and leaving the residence, speeding back to Italy where the kings could finally see their shared mates and they could begin their future of a happy life.