| chapter five |

' they were told never take life for granted '

AS SOON AS THE LAST WORD TUMBLED OUT OF HER MOUTH, a mixture of gorgeous butterflies came from the sky, forest and ground

AS SOON AS THE LAST WORD TUMBLED OUT OF HER MOUTH, a mixture of gorgeous butterflies came from the sky, forest and ground. They all went in front of the Cullen's and their witnesses, shielding them. Soon, they began to flap their wings, and before everyone knew it, they formed into a holographic shield.

Jane's eyes moved towards every single other vampire, trying to push her power onto them but alas, nothing happened. The blonde locked eyes with Sofia, who had a smug look on her face as a smirk tugged at both her lips and Bella's as the two used their powers to shield their friends and families, more so Sofia, who's power was stronger.

"Aro, you see there are no laws broken here," The wise vampire doctor, Carlisle, stated.

"Agreed. But does it then follow that there is no danger." Aro said before turning back to his members and people. "For the first time in our history, humans pose a threat to our kind. Their modern techno has given birth to weapons that could destroy us. Maintaining our secret has never been more imperative. In such perilous times, only the known is safe. Only the known is tolerable, and we know nothing of what this child will become. Can we live with such uncertainty? Spare ourselves a fight today, only to die tomorrow." Whispers erupted amongst the Volturi as fear appeared on the faces of the witnesses, the guards not fazed at all. Soon, two pairs of footsteps were heard across the snowy field, a blanket of silence wrapping around the area.

"Alice."

"My dear, dear Alice. We are so glad to see you here, after all." Aro said, a smile of his own on his pale face as delight showed across his face.

"I have evidence the child won't be a risk to our kind. Let me show you." Alice states as she raises her hand out to Aro.

"Brother?" The guards let go of Alice, allowing her to go face to face with Aro, who ignored his brother and took Alice's hand. She showed him a vision of his future how everyone battled, who killed who and how. But what shocked both him and her was that Sofia was killing everyone from left to right, which was surprising because she would not even harm a fly, let alone a vampire. She looked scary as her once blonde hair went a darker shade, almost black and her eyes were black with silver flecks here and there.

"Now you know. That's your future. Unless you decide on another course." Alice said, coldly, as the vision ended, snatching her hand away from the leader of the coven.

"We cannot alter our course. The child still poses a grave threat." Caius said, disagreeing with every reasonable point.

"But if you were assured she could remain sealed from the human world? Can we live I peace?" Asked Edward, a slight smile on his face as he read the thoughts of his sister. Sofia, who was sitting on the ground, looked up at him with furrowed eyebrows.

"Of course, but that cannot be known." Caius scoffed.

"Actually, it can." Two pairs of footsteps could be heard across the field as they came forward. It was a man and a woman. The man held a slow heartbeat within him.

"I've been searching for witnesses of my own, among the Ticuna tribes of Brazil," Alice stated as the two stood behind her.

"We have enough witnesses-" Caius was cut off by his brother, Aro.

"Let him speak, brother." His brother glared at him, flabbergasted.

"I am half human, half vampire like the child. A vampire seduced my mother, who died giving birth to me. My aunt, Huilen, raised me as her own. I made her immortal." The boy explained.

"How old are you?" Came the voice of Bella.

"150 years." The hybrid said as he looked back at Bella.

"At what age did you reach maturity?" Aro asked, intrigued.

"I became full grown seven years after my birth. I have not changed since then." Isabella looked back at her daughter, who was on top of Jacobs wolf, with a smile to which she returned.

"And your diet?" He continued asking.

"Blood, human food, I can survive on either."

"These children are much like us." Came a hoarded wise voice. Sofia glanced at the brown-haired man named Marcus and felt a tug at her heart. They locked gazes, warmth spreading within her before she then turned her head, uncomfortable.

"Regardless, the Cullen's have been consorting with werewolves, our natural enemies," Caius argues.

"Dear ones, there is no danger here. We will not fight. Today." Aro said. They all then sped off back to Italy, their home. However, five stayed. They glanced at everyone before locking gazes with their one true love before speeding back. Aro was the last one to go, looking at Bella and Alice before looking back at his mate.

"We will meet again." He then turned around and sped back to Italy.

"We have them on the run, now is the time to attack," Vladimir said as he and his brother walked forward.

"Not today," Carlisle said, gently.

"You are all fools. The Volturi might be gone, but they will never forgive what happened here." Everyone shrugged it off and laughed as the Volturi left, except for one. She sighed before standing up, weak. Sofia's body was exhausted. Not only did she use too much energy and power, but her heart was shattered as emotions of pain and sadness filled her.

But can you blame her?

She just lost her other half.

Brick by brick, her walls came tumbling down. As she ran from her concerned friends and families, the tears in her eyes turned the rainy day into a whirlwind of greys and yellows. Sofia didn't know where she was going, but when she stopped, she found herself in a familiar meadow - a meadow she and her sister used to come too.

The blonde sat against a tree and let her emotions out, draining them. She didn't care who saw. She just broke down.

The sobs punched through, ripping through her muscles, bones, and guts. She pressed her forehead into her hand and began to let her heart yank in and out of her chest. It pulled back in like a yo-yo. Over and over. In and out. She was hollow. With her head in her hands, she hides her tears beneath the blanket of her luscious blonde hair. She wanted to speak, but it was as though someone was choking her.

She thought no one could see or hear her, but she was wrong. Because, just a few hundred feet away, was five people hidden among the shadows as they saw her unfold her emotions, revealing her vulnerable and raw side. She was too innocent to feel these kinds of feelings, but she brushed them anyway, which broke their heart.

"We are sorry, Mi Amore. We hope you will forgive us one day." With that, they sped back to Italy for real this time.