| chapter eleven |

' they hoped she would
always find a reason to smile '

A GASP OF BREATH ECHOED THROUGHOUT THE DARK COLOURED ROOM as a gorgeous blonde bolted upwards from her previously lying position

A GASP OF BREATH ECHOED THROUGHOUT THE DARK COLOURED ROOM as a gorgeous blonde bolted upwards from her previously lying position. Short breaths came out like pants as the blonde's heart raced, her ribcage blocking it from moving anywhere.

Clutching onto the blankets, Sofia Denali felt something different about it, and as she looked around, she realised why. This wasn't her room. While her room was filled with light furniture, this room was filled with furniture of the opposite colour.

"You're awake." Picking up the soft bell-like voice, Sofia snapped her head into the direction of the voice only too see the blonde twin, who sat on the bed.

"I'll go tell the others." Alec Volturi, one part of the witch Twins, told his twin sister, Jane. He flashed a warm smile at his mate before speeding to the throne room, anxious to tell the kings that their mate had finally awakened from her slumber in Aro's room.

"You know, you're very beautiful." Sofia's eyes widened at the unexpected compliment before a blush painted her cheeks as she lowered her, her hair covering her red face. "Don't shy away, my love. You look cute while you blush." Like that helped. Sofia's face turned redder, but before she could say anything, the dark brown doors were thrown open as four people stepped into the room, warm smiles spread across each of their faces as their eyes were alight.

"My dear, Sofia." Aro Volturi, the leader of the most powerful coven in the world, smiled fondly at his mate as the four walked towards her. "How are you?" He asked, stroking her warm cheek with his cold finger once he was close to her.

"I'm okay." She mumbled softly, casting her gaze down as she felt a warm feeling erupt in her. However, before she could go into it, a memory flashed into her mind, and Sofia felt fear taking over the feeling as it ran through her body. She shuffled away from his hand, her heartbeat picking up ever so slightly. However, the vampires in the room could both smell the fear and hear her heartbeat.

"Sofia?" Caius questioned as he and the others saw how fast Sofia moved away from Aro like his fingers were on fire.

"You killed my sister," Sofia mumbled, her eyes going glossy as the thought of her amazing twin sister filled her mind, her heart yearning for the comfort of her older sister, her rock. Even though her killing had been a long time ago, Sofia could never really get over it. I mean, who would? The five vampires in the room tensed, all looking at Sofia with sad eyes. "You killed my sister." The blonde repeated, her hair covering her face as she shuffled back, her back hitting against the backboard of the bed.

"We did, and we are deeply sorry for that," Alec told her, sitting down on the edge of the bed, next to his twin as he went to place his hand over her hand, but she quickly snatched her head to her chest. A look of hurt flashed over his features.

"Sorry?" The hybrid whispered. "Do you think sorry will fix the fact that she is dead?!" Sofia glared at her mates, tears streaming down her face. "Do you think that by apologising she'll just magically come back to life?!" The blonde hissed, angered. The ground began to shake as Sofia's anger bubbled, her eyes flashing red.

"Sofia."

"No!" She screamed, glaring at Aro who tried to reason with her. "I don't want to be anywhere near you. Any of you." She glared at them, tears dropping to the bed. Jane moved forward to wipe them away, but Sofia moved back, eyes glaring at her.

"Love?"

"Go away!" She shouted. "I don't want you here!" Marcus sighed and stood up, walking out of the room along with the others. Sofia turned on her side, tears still dripping like a waterfall. Aro glanced over his shoulder before sighing and closing the door gently.

Once they were gone, Sofia began to sob, pain and sadness filling her heart as she clutched her knees to her chest, rocking herself as she placed her chin on her knees.

"Oh, Irina." The blonde cried, her arms clutching around her knees tighter as she began to shake. "Why did you have to leave? Why did they have to kill you?" Sofia questioned, her vision blurry as she clenched shut. "I miss you so much." The blonde's eyes had begun to shut as her mind started to turn off. Sofia felt herself fall limp not before she fixed herself to sleep in a comfortable position. She curled into a ball as the darkness wrapped its comforting arms around her.

Golden eyes watched over her from above, a soft, sympathetic smile on its heavenly features.

"Baby sister, you are a warrior," Its voice rang throughout the sky, the soft tone soothing the ears of the angel that slept. "But even the men of war take off their armour once in a while. You hide your true self under all these emotions of darkness; you allow it to take over your mind. Don't. You are strong, the strongest person I know in fact. You have the courage, and you have bravery along with power. Don't forget who you are, my precious little butterfly."