| chapter fifteen |

' every time they said her name,
a piece of her fell into place '

SOFIA DENALI SAT ON THE LAP OF ONE OF HER MATES, Marcus Volturi, her head resting against his shoulder as he read his book

SOFIA DENALI SAT ON THE LAP OF ONE OF HER MATES, Marcus Volturi, her head resting against his shoulder as he read his book. The blonde was spending time with him while the others worked. The six of them had made a plan that they would take turns spending their time with her, so she was never lonely. There would be a day, though, where they all had to work which is where Demitri and Felix came in. They would spend the day with their new best friend, keeping her company for the day. Currently, the two mate's were in the library, a comforting silence surrounding them like a blanket.

"What is wrong, amore?" Marcus asked as he glanced at his quiet mate. Sofia turned her head to lock eyes with the elderly king.

"Nothing." She mumbled, her eyes shutting. Marcus sighed before putting down his book and lifting his mate, turning her, so she was facing him. She moved slightly, so she was straddling him, her head nuzzling into his neck as she inhaled his comforting scent of old paper and cinnamon.

Marcus pressed his hand against her back, rubbing circles into it which made a pleasurable shiver race through as sparks erupted within her.

"Something is bothering you." He stated, the two locking eyes as Sofia sat straight. "What is it?"

"I'm just curious." She said slowly as her mind travelled to that secret door in the garden.

"About what?" Sofia shook her head.

"It's nothing." The blonde rested her chin atop Marcus's shoulder. The vampire decided not to bother her and rubbed her back while he continued to read his book with his other hand. The blonde sighed, her eyes fluttering closed as she felt herself grow tired, exhaustion creeping upon her.

"Mi Amore?" Marcus called but got no response. The older vampire sighed, a small smile gracing his lips as he felt his mate's warm breath hit his own cold, frozen skin. The vampire wrapped an arm around the sleeping Sofia's legs and one around her back.

Sofia immediately snuggled against him, her head in his shoulder as he carried his queen to his chambers. Walking up the stairs, Marcus saw all the guards bowing and nodded to acknowledge them. The vampire guards all had a tiny smile on their faces as they saw their adored queen sleeping in their king's arms.

Opening the door of his room, Marcus walked in and laid his Queen on his bed, tucking her in and kissing her forehead.

"Sleep well, bellissimo."

Marcus took one last glance at his mate before he closed the door, gently. He walked down the stairs and corridor before entering the throne room, where his brothers were.

"Where is Sofia?" Caius asked as he saw his brother walk in without their mate.

"She is sleeping," Marcus answered before sitting down, a book in his hand. Caius rolled his eyes and rested his head in the palm of his hand. He wanted to have his mate with him but respected the idea that she needed to sleep.

A group of humans soon entered the room full of vampires, their cameras clicking as they captured pictures of the ancient artefacts that adorned the top part of the room.

"Welcome." Aro greeted, his arms spread wide as the tourist gazed around the room in awe. "I hope you've enjoyed your tour for it ends here." Just as the words fell out of his mouth, the vampires in the room pounced on the nearest human, drinking their blood. Screams echoed throughout the room as the humans began to drop dead once all the blood was sucked out of their bodies.

Wicked smirks dawned against those that fed, their eyes glinting with a darkness that always conquered them at their evilest times. Maybe that's why Sofia was paired up with them because she could tame the monsters known as the Volturi coven.