18

It was a while after Elena drove Maria home- and decided to walk the rest leaving Maria's car with her- that she called. Elena sounded urgent and frantic- so much so that Maria couldn't understand her at first. Eventually she got that someone attacked Alaric in their home, and Elena wasn't sure if he'd wake up.

When Maria walked into the house she saw Elena being comforted by Matt upstairs. Alaric's body was next her sister. Covering Sara, Maria walked past her sister and headed to the room that was once hers.
"Oh, Elena." She sighed kneeling down. She gathered her sister into her arms, and sent Matt a grim smile.
"He has to wake up. He can't die. He just can't! We've already lost mom and dad and Jenna and John and Isobel." Maria sent Matt a questioning glance and he mouthed back 'her biological mom'.
"He'll wake up. Tell me, what happened?"
"I didn't know if he was attacked by a human. He was alive, and I couldn't risk- I couldn't risk it." Elena sobbed some more. "I'm the do- doppelganger. I'm supernatural. The ring protects against supernatural. He'll wake up."
"I'm sure he will." Maria soothed, then realised what her sister tried to say. Elena killed him. 
"What if he doesn't? And you're not living here anymore and we don't have anyone else. Our whole family is gone."
"He'll come back, Elena. Don't worry. Okay?"
"Okay." The phone rang. "I'll get it."
"So." Matt started once Elena left. "Who's the kid?"
"That's Sara. She's my daughter."
"You had a kid?"
"Yeah. Don't tell anyone. I'd rather Jeremy hear it from me. So far only Elena and you- and of course, Michael and Tiana- know. So does Klaus."
"Yeah of course. How?"
"Do you really need to know the process? I'm sure you've had sex before."
"No!" He exclaimed. "I mean yeah, I have but that's not what I'm talking about. I mean, when and who?"
"Now if I told you, I'd have to kill you." She joked. "Wait, that's an insensitive thing to say next to someone who just died, right?"
"Yep." He nodded his head. 
"Where's Jeremy, anyway?"
"He- well." Matt looked away. Alaric started to groan and cough. Elena rushed in.
"Hey, sleeping beauty." Maria greeted.
"Ugh, what happened?"
"Elena killed you." Elena grimaced and Matt elbowed Maria in the side. "Too soon?"
"Yeah." Matt whispered. Alaric sat up and put his hands on his chest.
"Well I can add stabbing to the list of ways I've died." Alaric groaned.
"Exactly how many times have you died?"
"5 now."
"Alaric, you were stabbed before." Elena corrected.
"Oh that's right. When Damon was kidnapped by that werewolf."
"Do I want to know?" Maria asked. She heard the tiny footsteps of her daughter.
"Mummy?" Sara asked, confused.
"Hey baby. Come here." Maria said, gathering her daughter into her arms.
"You have a daughter?" Alaric asked. Maria sighed. 
"Yes, but you're not supposed to know. I'd really like it if you don't tell anyone- at least until I get the chance to tell Jeremy."
"Of course."
"But yes, this is my daughter, Sara. Speaking of Jeremy where is he?"
"He's, um he's in Denver. With some family friends." Elena stuttered, surprising Maria. Maria gave her phone to Sara, in answer to her tugs.
"Jeremy would never up and leave, especially when all this is happening in Mystic falls, and definitely not when his family and friends are in mystic falls."
"He did."
"I know Jeremy, he would never."
"Well, he did."
"Tell me the truth, Elena. Is he okay? Is he hurt?" Maria instantly thought the worst. "Tell me what's wrong, I can handle it."
"No he's fine. He really is in Denver."
"That makes absolutely no sense. Why would he go?"
"To be safe. Because I told him to."
"You expect me to believe Jeremy left everyone because he was thinking about himself? Or because you told him? I wish, Elena, but Jeremy isn't someone who puts himself in front of everyone else."
"I had Damon compel him, alright? Klaus took it one step too far, and got Tyler to get Jeremy off vervain. Then he compelled Jeremy to take off his ring and walk into the middle of the road where one of his hybrids would run him over. Alaric pushed him out of the way and ended up dead. I didn't want that kind of life for him. I didn't want to have to worry that someone would use my brother as an incentive for my ex-boyfriend. So I'm sorry if that makes me a bad sister, but I had to get him to safety!" Maria just pulled her sister in for a hug.
"Oh Elena. That doesn't make you a bad sister. I understand." She soothed. "You did what you thought was right and necessary to keep your little brother safe."
"You don't blame me?"
"Well you did brainwash him literally. But I do understand doing what's necessary to keep your younger sibling safe."
"Are you going to look after her?"
"I won't take her into custody until after Klaus has left town. I can't do that to her but I'll still see her."
"Okay."
"Now what's all this about Stefan and Klaus?"
"Stefan stole all of Klaus's coffins- his siblings and another. No one knows what's inside that one."
"Right."
"So Klaus thought he could scare me into getting him his coffins back so he tried to kill Jeremy, but Alaric pushed him out of the way and died. And then Stefan threatened to drive me off Wickery bridge in retaliation and to get Klaus's hybrids out of town."
"He did what? Oh I am going to make him hurt. Both of them." 
"How? No offence but you're a human. How are you going to hurt two vampires, one who's over 160 years and another over a thousand years."
"I'm not alone Elena. I have two powerful witches on my side. Well witch and warlock, who are a force to be reckoned with. And I'm going to take great pleasure in hurting Klaus." Maria explained. Sara tugged on her top. "Yes baby?"
"It's dead." She pointed at the phone. Only she couldn't pronounce say dead properly so it sounded like 'deh'.
"Okay sweetie. Stay here, while I put it in the charger, okay?" Maria gestured to her sister. "This is your aunty Elena."
"Like aunty T?" Which sounded more like 'Like atitee?'
"Well aunty T is your godmother. This is my sister. Like aunty T and Michael are brother and sister." She explained and went to go put her phone into the charger.