34

*3rd person*
Elena walked into the station, where Alaric was being held. She bumped into the sheriff who held a huge cup of coffee in one hand and a stack of files in the other.
"Oh, Elena." She sounded slightly shocked. "Hi."
"Hey. I'm just here to see Alaric."
"Yeah he's through there, here let me take you." She offered.
"Are all of those ongoing Mystic Falls investigations?" Elena asked. "I had no idea there was so much crime. Besides the animal attacks."
"Oh no, this is just one investigation."
"The serial killer?"
"No, your sister's."
"You're investigating Maria?" Elena asked disbelievingly.
"No, not Maria. Wait- you don't know? Sorry. I just assumed, never mind. Forget I said anything." The sheriff closed up.
"What do you mean? Is Maria okay?"
"Listen Elena, it's not my place to say anything. I shouldn't have said anything anyways."
"I understand." Elena nodded.
"Well here's Alaric. I'll give you two some space."

Later on, Elena went to the boarding house completely confused. What was the sheriff hiding. She'd called Caroline when she left the police station to meet her at the boarding house to try to ask her to figure out what her mother was hiding.
"Elena! Finally!" Caroline exclaimed when she walked in. "Next time, we can meet at your house or mine."
"Sure," Elena laughed at her friend. "I need to ask you a favour, Care."
"Of course." Caroline smiled, as the two walked into the living room. "What do you need?"
"How hard would it be for you to sneak into your mom's office and get a look at her files?"
"Depends. If it's vampire related, she'll show me. If it's a small crime it's easy to get. But if it's super important, pretty much impossible."
"Even as a vampire? There's this case for my sister-"
"Maria?"
"Yeah, and your mom was super secretive about it. She had this huge stack of files-"
"Right before your parents died, and Maria left town, my mom was super immersed in a case. She always had it on her. She was always looking through, late nights at the station- sometimes early mornings. She refused to say what it was."
"Will you help me? I mean, if that's what happened the last time- it might happen again."
"I'm in." Caroline said reluctantly. "But Elena. What if there's a reason we're not supposed to know?"
"What if it was something to do with my parents?"
"What do you mean?"
"Don't you find it weird that just as your mom's investigating this huge case, my parents die. I almost died. What if whoever they're investigating tried to kill us off to scare off your mom and Maria? What if that's the reason Maria left town?"
"Maybe that's not it." Caroline tried to soothe her friend.
"What if this time it's you and us? Or your mom?"
"Where do you want to start?" Caroline asked.

*Lydia's house*

There was a knock on Lydia's door and Jeremy went to go answer it. He went to go answer it to see Klaus at the door.
"What are you doing here?"
"I have information for your sister."
"Maria doesn't like you, you know."
"Yes, I know. Could be because I murdered your aunt. Sorry, by the way. It was an impulsive decision."
"You love Maria, don't you?"
"Yeah?"
"But you're evil."
"I wasn't always evil. When people usually find out I'm Klaus Mikaelson, they tend to try to kill me or run away. The former always backfires. But Maria didn't. She just annoyed me and made me laugh and made me different. I got to know her, and I fell in love with her."
"That is so disturbing."
"Can I just talk to her?"
"No, she's a little busy."
"I just need to tell her something. It's important and not about me or anything to do with Mystic Falls."
"What is it?"
"I'd rather tell her directly." Jeremy leaned back.
"Maria! It's for you! It's your psychotic ex boyfriend with some kind of news."
"Thanks." Klaus smirked. Jeremy froze.
"You-did you just-"
"Just what?"
"Thank me?"
"No."
"Yes you did."
"No, I didn't."
"What is it?" Maria cut in, from behind Jeremy.
"Klaus just said thanks."
"He does that sometimes, very rarely though."
"I did not!" He protested. "I never thank anyone."
"He does that too." Maria grinned. "What is it?"
"It's about Faith."
"Do you know who did it?"
"It was a vampire, he's not talking yet, but soon he will." Klaus took out his phone and showed it to her. "Do you recognise him?" Maria looked at the picture before taking a step back.
"No." She shook her head. It wasn't that she didn't recognise him, more so that she was afraid.
"Maria?" Jeremy asked. "Do you know him?"
"Where is he, Niklaus?" She asked.
"I've got Rebekah playing with him. I told her to enjoy herself."
"Keep him away from here." Maria begged. Klaus looked confused before something dawned on his face.
"Is he..?" He trailed off. Maria nodded. Klaus made a move to come inside but was stopped by the barrier.
"It's okay, Klaus. Just please keep him away."
"I'll keep him away, alright." He glared at nothing in particular. He sped limiaway and Jeremy closed the door.
"Who is he, Maria?"
"It's no one."
"Don't lie to me. Who is that guy?"
"Please Jer, not now." Maria walked back into the room and picked up Sara, hugging her tight. Kara looked over- it was clear she'd heard the conversation. Her eyes widened and she enveloped Maria in a hug. Jeremy walked over, saying nothing and joined the hug. His sister needed him and it was clear this guy took a lot out of her.

A/N~ Who should she end up with? Michael or Klaus? Honestly, I have no clue.