22

Esther didn't want to risk Maria blabbing to the Mikaelsons, so she kept the young girl prisoner with the plan to send her back to her life after the ordeal. Finn walked up to the room his mother and the young mother was in.
"Are we all right to speak freely?" He asked.
"Yes, the sage still burns." She wrote the names of her children on a piece of paper.
"You aren't having second thoughts, are you?"
"Of course not, it's just Elijah. He's so moral."
"You're doing the right thing, mother."
"She's really not." Maria piped in. Nobody could make her stay quiet. Duct tape probably would help but the two Mikaelsons had no clue of that.
"You understand what this means, don't you? This spell I'm casting tonight will bind you all together as one." Esther ignored Maria and addressed her son.
"I understand. When it is time, I will be ready to die."
"This is not Martyrdom. It's suicide. Mass murder and suicide.
"I'm sacrificing myself in order to rid the world of most of the evil."
"Then we must complete the link." Esther chanted the spell and Maria felt helpless. She was still stuck in place with magic. "The link is complete. You are one."
"You're a bitch. Not only are you killing your son, but your entire family. Your only daughter who, from what I heard, is only searching for love. Your sons- one who keeps his family honest, who's there to protect them, who isn't evil; another who has lived a century which is just a decade or so older than a human lifespan and has spent that century on the run never knowing short term peace like the rest; your youngest son who apparently was once a witch and your own selfish desire to use dark magic upon him ripped that away from him, and the last son who's alive because you got bored of your husband and wanted the werewolf. What kind of mother kills her children for something that was her own fault? What kind of mother would kill her child let alone all of her children?"
"Don't delve into matters you don't understand." Finn snarled. "My mother is only doing right by nature. She made a mistake once that turned us into beasts. By killing us she's getting rid of the injustice she did to the world."
"You just hate what you are. Congratulations or whatever and kill yourself, but your siblings? You're the eldest. By killing them, you'll probably doom them to hell. You don't believe they'll end up in peace do you? They're monsters- I agree, but you two are worse because you're killing your family. I could never kill Elena or Jeremy."
"Because they're good."
"Good or bad doesn't matter. You don't kill family."
"Klaus killed me."
"He had extra heightened emotions, he couldn't control it. And you killed your son every time when you began to hate him." She scoffed. "How could you kill your only daughter? Your youngest?"
"Finn, I'll speak with you later." Esther dismissed. He left the room. "I'm only telling you this because they'll die soon and they won't find out. A thousand years ago I had another daughter, my first child. Freya. She and Finn were especially close. Everyone believed she'd died of the plague. That's what I told Mikael too. In reality, I could not have children, so I begged my sister to perform a spell on me so that I could. I was not practising then, and I needed her help. She agreed with the condition that I would give her the firstborn of every Mikaelson generation. You think this is easy for me? I've already lost a child, and losing the rest of my children is the worst thing for a mother. But I have a duty."
"You're not losing them. You're killing them. You have a duty as a mother to protect them. And why didn't you practice magic?"
"Does it matter? I had my own reasons."
"Whatever. Just let me go home. My daughter- I need to go home to my daughter."
"You'll see her tomorrow. I'm sure whoever is looking after her will stay with her for the night and assume you had a good night."
"No. She knows me better than that."
"Fine, I'll let you go home."
"What's the catch?" Esther said nothing and instead began a spell. One that Maria recognised. A linking spell. She pricked Maria's finger and her own and muttered the spell. "What are you doing?"
"We're bound together. You tell my sons anything to thwart this process, and I will most likely end up dead. So will you, and your daughter will be left motherless. So you can go home to your daughter, and keep your mouth shut, or you can help kill me and die yourself."

'Your daughter will be left motherless'... 'keep your mouth shut'... 'we're bound together'... 'die yourself'... The words revolved around Maria's mine. There was no way she'd risk her daughter's future for the originals. But she wasn't about to sit back and let Esther threaten her daughter. Esther was powerful, but not more powerful than a Lorde witch, and two Bennett witches.
"Alright, unlinking is usually hard on it's own but when it's a witch that old, it's pretty much impossible."
"We have to try. She threatened Sara's future. If I stay linked to her, I will most likely end up dead. I can't leave Sara motherless."
"Okay but without something that belongs to her it won't work. Our strength altogether is equal to hers alone, so we'll push against each other but the spell won't break." Michael pointed out. There was a knock at the door.
"I'll be back." Maria said and walked out. She was surprised at who it was. "Elijah Mikaelson. To what do I owe the pleasure?"
"Is it too much to ask to come in?"
"I'm afraid so. Only vampires I really trust are allowed in, and none live in Mystic falls. I only met you today."
"Fair enough."
"What can I do for you?"
"I need to ask what it is that my mother was talking to you about, I didn't see you come out. I would have noticed, unless you left after me, but the party dispersed hours ago."
"What can I say? She had a great afterparty."
"Does my mother have good intentions towards my family? Has she forgiven Niklaus?"
"You should ask her. I have no idea. It was nice talking to you."
"Wait. What's wrong?"
"Nothing. I'm just tired. Could I have some of your blood?"
"Why?"
"My friend's burnt herself. It's pretty bad." She smiled pleasantly. "Please?"
"Of course. Could I get a knife and a cup?"
"Yeah sure, wait here please." She walked back inside with the equipment.
"Thank you," He stared at her pointedly. "For your honesty about my mother."
"Anytime." She smiled weakly.
"What are you doing?" Tiana asked.
"He's Esther's son, so his blood is connected to her, half the chromosomes or whatever."
"You failed biology didn't you?" Michael teased.
"No, I'm tired. That's all."
"That bull may have worked on the fancy vampire but it'll take a lot more to get to me. Come on, we'll finish this spell and you can sleep and snuggle up with your daughter."
"Thanks." Tiana, Michael, and Maria worked for hours, chanting the spell over and over and they were finally successful.