32

"Maria?" Elena said, shocked. "W-what are you doing here?"
"A couple of my friends in England, vampire friends that is, started dying. Do you have any idea why?" Maria asked, acting as though she herself had no clue. Elena paled slightly and stuttered.
"Um, n-no. I don't think so. I mean, in England?"
"Yeah, they just randomly started coughing up blood and died. You have two vampire boyfriends and you're usually at the centre of all supernatural misgivings."
"Damon and Stefan are fine."
"I know. Or else you'd be crying. Like, a lot."
"I'm sorry, Maria. But I don't know what happened to your friends." Maria stood there and folded her arms, narrowing her eyes at her sister.
"Really? You're going to stand there and lie right to my face?"
"I'm not lying. You should ask Klaus. He probably had something to do with it. He's an original hybrid. And evil. I wouldn't be surprised."
"So you're just going to try turn this all on Klaus. Give it up, Elena. I know what happened. You tried to kill Klaus by killing his brother with whom his entire family was linked to. An yet again, Elena bloody Gilbert wins without any direct consequences to her."
"I'm sorry, Maria. But he's evil. I know you love him-"
"No, Elena. You don't know. I know he's bad. He's not good news, I get it. He's evil, sure. But you are the one who tried to kill his entire family, yet again, just to get rid of him."
"But-"
"Elena, my friends are dead. My friends. I mean- what if your boyfriends died."
"They're not my boyfriends."
"Sure, whatever. What if they died. How would you feel? How am I supposed to feel knowing that my sister is responsible for the deaths of my friends?" Maria glared at her. "Five. That's at least how many of my friends have died. At least. How am I supposed to tell the rest of my worried friends that my sister is responsible for their friends death? Eliza? She was married. Her husband is left with the body of his dead wife because they weren't sired by the same person. They've loved each other for three centuries. How is he supposed to live if all he's ever known is gone? Jeannette? She was turned into a vampire a year ago. She was just adjusting. She lived with her human family, her parents, her five year old sister- what are they supposed to do with her veined body?"
"Okay I get it. Your friends had actual lives." A voice butt in. "Don't you think Elena already feels guilty you lost your friends?"
"Damon Salvatore. I should have guessed. Oh Elena, never mind how many lives you ruined, you're still a good, compassionate person. God, you're all delusional. You managed to ruin lives an ocean away."
"Stop it!" Elena burst. "Please. I'm sorry."
"Oh well, if you're sorry. I guess that makes everything okay." Maria's voice dripped with sarcasm.
"You should leave." Damon butt in.
"You're right. I should get to my daughter. Or maybe you'd like to find a way to kill her too." Maria said venomously. She started walking away, but turned around. "You know what else? I had to hear about it from Klaus. I had to hear that my sister murdered his brother from him. That that was the reason my friends died. You didn't have the decency to warn me, even after you found out vampires all around were dying."
"Maria-" Elena began, but Maria stalked away.

Maria drove back home, to check on Sara and Hanna. Those were the two she had to protect. She didn't trust her family to be safe in this town. Maybe it would have been better if she stayed away, but she could never leave Jeremy forever. She loved her brother and she'd always go back for him. She wiped her tears away, furiously as she got out of her car. She headed over to Lydia's where she knew everyone would probably be.
"Hey, Maria, do you know what's going on?" Kara asked. Maria looked over at her friend sadly.
"Yeah, actually I do." She sighed. "Finn Mikaelson is dead. And with him, his entire sire line."
"What?"
"If an original dies, then everyone who's been sired by them, or whose sire can be linked back to them will die."
"But, you can't kill an Original. It's pretty much impossible."
"Not impossible. There's a weapon that could be used to kill them. And my darling sister killed Finn in hopes of his entire family dying." Maria spat. "Kara, I am so sorry."
"It's not your fault, Maria." Kara assured. "You didn't know your sister was going to murder our friends."
"God, I don't know what is up. I mean, she was once a semi nice girl. And now she's a total bitch. I mean, I can't stand her at all. She didn't even know Finn and the moment the dude who's been dead for nine tenths of his life finds an inch of happiness, she kills him in hopes of his brother dying. I mean, she's been planning to kill Klaus since before she'd ever met him. And maybe he deserves it, but killing an entire family- five people just so that one of them ends up dead, when she doesn't even know two of them. I don't even know what to do, because right now all I really want to do is knock some sense into that thick skull of hers."
"Maria, no one blames you for your adoptive sister's selfishness." Kara told her. "I promise."
"I know, but I just don't know what to do here. This place has so much death already. So much darkness and she's just adding to it."
"Maria, maybe we should go back to England."
"I would, but I'm not going to leave Jeremy here. He's already got so much on his plate, you know? I can't leave him at the mercy of Elena and her boy toys."
"You should go." A voice sounded from the doorway. Maria looked up to see her brother.
"I left you here once, Jer. I'm not going to again."
"Mia, you have a kid to look after, and a little sister."
"Come with me." She offered. "You'd get into an art college, easy."
"I can't." He told her. "I mean, for all the bad there is in this town, there's a little bit of good."
"Then I'm staying too. I mean, you've already died, what? Twice?"
"I'll be fine, but you have to go."
"I'm not bailing on you. Especially not with the psycho you call sister."
"Mia, I'm a big boy. Sara's barely three. She deserves to grow up someplace safe, where you don't have to constantly worry if someone'll try to use her as leverage."