47

Early that next morning, I got another phone call.
"Hello?" I asked, not knowing the number.
"Elena has the guy in the Salvatore basement. They've got him tied up and everything and now they're questioning him." Caroline said in one breath.
"Caroline?" I asked. Then her words sunk in. "What?!"
"I'm so sorry, I tried to stop them, I really did. But they wouldn't hear of it. The Salvatore boys tracked him down and brought him in. But there's a problem. There's two of them." T walked into the room.
"Put Elena on the phone, Caroline." I demanded. T looked at me in confusion. I put a finger up as though saying one minute.
"Sure." Caroline said. There was a noise as the phone was swapped.
"Hello?" Elena started.
"What in the hell do you think you're doing?" I spat.
"Finding answers. You wouldn't tell me, so we had to go a little extreme. Which one is which?"
"Elena!" I said. "I'll be over in a few. Stay away from them."
"I have to get my answers somehow."
"Elena, please think about what you're doing for once. Think this through, because your making the same mistakes. You're not thinking about how this affects me. You're not thinking about how this affects my daughter."
"But I am. I mean, I found out John was my father and I was mean to him. I never got to tell him that I cared about him. And then it was too late. Would you rather Sara go though the same?"
"I'd rather Sara live with that regret, than her not live at all."
"Why do you hate him so much?"
"Look, you and I? We're never going to be close again. You hurt people I care about, and I won't shrug it off. But if you continue doing whatever you're doing, then Elena I will always, always hate you. And I won't be responsible for any of my friends coming after you. They're kind of protective." I hung up the phone. T had pieced together bits and pieces of my conversation.
"Take backup. Take me. Take Kara."
"It wouldn't be fair of me to take Kara, and Lydia's got the flu. Sara senior has only just found out about them, and I don't fancy taking her to Elena and the boy toys. And I'm trusting you with Sara junior."
"Michael?"
"He's bonding with Jeremy. He's a good influence on Jer. I mean, all the guys in his life bond with him over supernatural crap. It's about time he gets to be a normal kid."
"You have to take someone. God, I can't believe I'm suggesting this, but at least take Klaus."
"He'll probably follow me anyways." I shrugged, picking up my bag and walking out. Klaus was in his car at my door. I walked over.
"Where are you going?" He asked.
"I'm heading to the Salvatores'."
"But what about-"
"Elena and the boy toys have them both locked up. I can't let her just do whatever she wants."
"I'll go. You stay."
"But-"
"Please. Just stay inside the house. I'll take them both and make sure they never come to Mystic Falls."
"I'm coming with you."
"Maria, love. Please." He pleaded.
"Fine." I walked away and back into the house.

As Klaus started to drive away, his sister called.
"What is it, Rebekah?" He said, exasperated.
"Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill me."
"Alaric Saltzman is supposed to be dead."
"Well, he's not and he's a vampire thanks to mother's spell with a white oak stake that can't kill him. He's strong, Nic. Too strong." She emphasised.
"Where is he now?"
"He's stuck at the school without a daylight ring, but as soon as night falls he'll come after us. We need to leave. Now."
"Fine. I have something to deal with, then I'll collect Elena, and we'll be on our way."
"Something to deal with?"
"Yes, I've got to clean up your mess. You remember that guy you let loose? He's been terrorising a certain young woman, and I promised I'd keep her safe. Now, I'm no Elijah, but I don't welsh on deals."
"Forget her. This is about our survival. Our family. Forget Elena! You don't need any more stupid hybrids!"
"What I need is protection from Esther's continued assaults against us."
"We'll protect each other, like we always have. Always and forever, Nik."
"I'm not leaving without her."
"I'm leaving now. You can either come meet me here, at the mansion, or you're on you own." Klaus stayed quiet. She scoffed. "Fine. Trust your hybrids over your family. Let your spite be the death of you, see if I care."
"Bex-"
"No. Don't. You've made your choice. I guess this is goodbye, brother. See you in hell." She hung up. Klaus tapped his fingers on the steering wheel before driving out. He drove up to the boarding house and walked inside. There was no one inside. He sped to the basement to see a note on the cell door.
Hey, Maria. Something came up. Had to leave. You can take him. Here are some vervain darts in case you want them weakened. I've also flooded their systems with vervain and they haven't had blood since yesterday, at least. If it's any consolation, I didn't manage to find out anything.
~E

Klaus read the note, mildly impressed. He didn't know the doppelgänger would go to such lengths for an interrogation. He scrubbed up the note and let it fall before pocketing the darts. He walked into the cell and picked them up. He couldn't compel them yet, not while the vervain was in their system. He grabbed them by their necks and dragged them to his car. He snapped their necks and locked them in the trunk of his car. He dusted his hands and got out his phone, calling Maria.
"I have the both of them, but I really can't tell them apart. What would you like me to do?"
"Come over."
"Are you sure we can't just kill them both?"
"No. Cyrus, you can do whatever the hell you want to him but Chris shouldn't pay for his brother."
"So how do we know which one is which?"
"I can tell them apart. They'll have different energies."