Karen

My feet slap against the track on the treadmill, sweat beads on my skin turn to sweat drops as they leave and fall to the ground. I've always heard of runner's high, they say it's a feeling of euphoria that comes on when people run due to hormones being released in their bodies. To me, its bullshit, running is hell, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to stay healthy. I push hard when I see that there are a few seconds left until I complete my run. "3-BEEP 2-BEEP 1-BEEP" I slap the off button on the treadmill and jump off immediately dropping down on my hands and knees gasping for air, my stomach feels like its going to explode and my chest has a ball of hot metal in it. I swear I'm going to die every time I run.
It takes a few minutes for me to get back to normal, I get up and drink some water, I can't stop thinking about it, the other night, jack's dream, his nightmares, they're back and I'm worried. Something else worries me though, he spoke in his sleep, "She can't know, Karen can't know" he said. It shook me right to the core, I knew something was up but I never thought it was something serious, had I really been that blind? Am I over thinking, I trust Jack but now, doubt seems to be creeping in.
We talk about everything, Jack knows he can come to me... what is there that he has to hide? I try to keep myself from assuming the worst, but there could be so much, maybe it's something from his past, or maybe something that's happening now...what if it's someone... I can't let myself go down that road. I clear the thoughts from my mind and I go over to the matts on the floor to do some yoga stretches. My arms reach up about my head, I can feel my muscles extending, air coming in through my nose, filling me, pushing itself in to me, soaking up my feelings, then It leaves through my mouth, emptying me of the heaviness of those thoughts. New ones emerge, thoughts of the business trip to Tokyo, tomorrow night I have to leave, I know the toll its taking on Alice, but I have to do this. I bend downward extending my back, opening it up as I touch my toes. I feel the pull in the back of my legs, In and out, my breath comes.
"Karen," a smooth familiar voice calls, it's him, its jack, he's here.