Jack (cont'd)

The sun lays on the sea, half in, half out, orange as candle flame surrounded by pink and red. It soaks in to the sea, Making torch of the open horizon. It trails toward us as the wave breaks on the shore and the water climbs the sand.

   The sand rolls up my feet until it reaches my mouth as I take a drink from the dirty necked whisky bottle. I pass it to Alice as we laugh about absolutely nothing.

  “Listen, Alice… I’m sorry… again.”
  “You should be… I’m just glad you didn’t die or some shit.”

She curses a lot when she’s drunk. I don’t care cause I’m just as hammered.

“I’m glad I didn’t die or some shit too.”

“wait, that’s the first time I’ve heard a dirty word come out of your mouth Jack,” I chuckle. A lot of dirty things come out of my mouth.

“Jack, I think this is the first time we’ve had a real conversation…”

"Yea, I guess.”

“Why are you always so down and angry looking,”

she Stands up, makes a serious face, raises her shoulders, flexes her arms and walks around in a circle. In a deep voice she says “Oh hey I’m Jack, a handsome C.E.O with a stick up my ass.” I can’t hold it in anymore and I burst out in laughter.

  “So you think I’m handsome?” She seems caught off guard and starts to blush. “Umm…”

“I’m just kidding around,”

She looks me dead in the eyes, “Yes, I do actually.”

This one catches me off guard. I stop and we stare at each other for a few moments. She looks absolutely perfect. Her long black hair let go, her grey eyes seem to glow in the evening sun, and her skin isn’t as pale as usual. My eyes fall to her lips, pink and full.

  “Um… we should head back home, Alice, its getting late… also I think we both may have had a bit too much to drink.”

“What, Mr. C.E.O can’t take a compliment?”

“Its not that…”

She chuckles then bursts out laughing,

“I’m just messing with you…lead the way.”

I walk in front,  stumbling as I go. We reach to the house and it's night, I switch on the lights as we both giggle over nonsense staggering in. There’s sand on our feet but we don’t care. I rest the bottle on a table and sit back on the couch.

  Alice heads over and switches on the stereo. The song that blares is Gravity, by John Meyer, I actually really like this one. Alice spins and dances around as I watch. The soft candle colored light bathes her. I’ve never seen so much beauty in one person before. Maybe it’s the alcohol or something, no, its not… she always looks this way, and I always feel this way around her… warm...

‘Gravity…is working against me’  the music moves me...

She puts her hand out, I reach for it as I stand, swaying with her, her head rests on my chest and my heart starts to race… what am I doing… I know I shouldn’t… but I can’t stop.

‘oh, I’ll never know, what makes this man, with all the love, his heart can stand’

Alice’s eyes come up to meet mine. I'm caught like an ant in front of a stream. Those beautiful grey eyes are inescapable. She tiptoes, and for a moment we're so close I can feel her breath on my lips... then I feel her lips on my lips… the world stops as they press together and she exhales, I take her tongue in to my mouth, so soft and warm, I’ve never tasted something so sweet…

'Oh twice as much, ain’t twice as good, and can’t sustain, what one half could

I kiss her deep, pulling her in close as her head tilts back and our tongues twist...

my senses kick in… I push her off. My heart sinks in  my chest…what have I done. Alice stands there in front of me, her eyes wide open. She runs off toward her room. I wipe my lips and I go over to the stereo to switch it off. My hands land on the table…

‘Oh gravity, is working against me, and gravity, wants to bring me down’

I switch off  the radio and sink to the ground holding my hair… what just happened.