Alice

Laura’s fingers run through my hair as she sits scrolling through her phone. I stare at the roof and For a brief moment, I have no thoughts, I’m just, here.
  The ringing of my phone drags be back to earth. Laura answers, “Hi, this is Alice’s phone,” her face changes, “Oh, hi Mr. Carlisle…” Oh god,its Jack.
She looks at me in a funny way, “Yea, you can speak to her, she’s uh, right here.”
She hands me the phone with a grin and gives me a motion with her face that says all I need to know, “H…hey, Jack, what’s up.”
“Nothin’ much I just called to see how you’re holding up…”
“I’m okay, just, Just tired I guess…”
“Oh, same I kinda just got done doing some work, and I’m exhausted.”
“Oh, yea its only what, 8pm, you have a lot of time to rest I guess…”
“Yea, tomorrow’s a bit of a busy day for me, I should be back tomorrow night though, but most likely you’ll be sleepin’ when I get there.”
“Probably, Laura’s only here for tonight so I’m glad you’ll be back tomorrow, have you spoken to mom?”
“Yea, I spoke to karen earlier, she’s cooled down…”
As he speaks I start to realize his voice has this odd way of slowing the world down, making it all feel like it isn’t that big or bad, he gives me this feeling of safety that I’ve never truly experienced before, I really wish he was here…
“Okay, well Alice, I should get to bed… call me if you need anything okay…”
I pause, I don’t speak because I know when I do the conversation will be over, I savor the moments until he talks again,
“okay?”
“uh, yea Jack, I will…”
“Alright… Good night Alice.”
“Good night Jack.”
I hang up and I can’t help but blush.
“Oooh girl, you got it bad.”
“oh shut up,” I push Laura and she giggles.
I do ‘got it bad…’