Jack

I sit back sipping some whisky, I’ve already had three glasses. I already feel it creeping up on me. I can’t handle being in the house anymore so I grab the bottle. It's been a long time since I've seen the beach.

  Its almost sunset, the cool sand relaxes my feet as the ocean wind slaps my white shirt against me. I left the whisky glass inside, I just took the bottle. I have a lot of sorrows to drown this evening. Its been a while since I've taken a drink. Alice is gone and so is Karen. Its been a long time since I’ve been alone in my house. I’d never noticed how long Karen’s been here, how much she’s grown on me. It doesn’t feel the same without her.

  The evening is dry and welcoming. I pass through the swaying palm trees and the beautiful white sand, shoreline opens up to me. The sun dances on the waves causing droplets to sparkle like diamonds. I walk to a spot on the sand that isn’t to far from the ocean and I sit down, planting my bottle.

  I breathe in and close my eyes, letting the sound of the sea sooth me. It slides its way down in to me as deep as my bones. I realize now how much I ache all over, from my heart to my ankles, I ache. It’s my age, the years let themselves out flooding me all at once, every ounce of them, weighing on my flesh and pressing against my ribcage. I hang my head. Even after having everything a man could want, I’m still haunted, still pained.

  “You gonna share that?”

My eyes fly open, I know that voice. I turn to see two long tanned legs, short jeans and a bikini top. Its Alice. She smiles at me, I smile back.