Chapter 8

It was time for Hafsah to go back to school and Haneed had offered to drop her at school. Even though she refused countless times, he still insisted.
Hafsah's parents told her to go with him since they met the family over the weekend during Maya's mum's birthday.

     Well, Hafsah being Hafsah invited her best friend to go with them. Haneed wanted an alone time with Hafsah but he couldn't refuse Sameerah tagging along. Sameerah blabbed about how perfect her boyfriend was and how she couldn't wait to see him.

     Haneed remained silent because he didn't want to risk yelling profanities at her. Firstly, she had to come with them even though he didn't want her to and secondly, she just wouldn't shut up.

     "Why aren't you talking Haneed?" Sameerah asked.

     "I just don't feel like it." he replied, not taking his eyes off of the road.

     "Haneed, are you okay?" Hafsah asked, touching his arm lightly.

     "I'm good, why?" he replied, turning to look at her.

     "You're just quiet and you look pissed." Hafsah said.

     "Yeah, I have quite a lot on my mind right now." he replied, going down the flyover that led to the school.

     "Care to share?" Hafsah asked him. "Some other time. Do you live on campus?" he asked.

     "Oh, I forgot to tell you. I live offkay. Take a left and go straight down." Haneed nodded and pulled into her street.

     When he got to the apartment complex he parked his car outside and helped Hafsah with her luggage, leaving Sameerah to carry hers. Hafsah insisted on carrying her luggage but he refused.

     She led him inside the complex and opened the door to her apartment, saying hi to her next-door neighbor who was outside.

     "Thanks so much for dropping me." Hafsah thanked him.

     "It's fine." he smiled at her.

     Sameerah dragged her luggage inside and dumped them in the room, then came back to join them in the living room.

     "What do I offer you? I have drinks in the fridge and I can make noodles if you want, or quickly whip up some samosas and spring rolls." Hafsah offered.

     "No, I'm good." Haneed replied.

     "I don't take no for an answer." Hafsah smiled and skipped to the kitchen.

     In about an hour, the samosas and spring rolls were ready. She put some of it in a plate and added a carton of cranberry juice at the side.

     "You really didn't have to, you know?" Haneed said.

     "I had to, now eat up." Hafsah replied, smiling at him.

     Sameerah was busy smiling at her phone and didn't bother to join in the conservation. Haneed took a bite of the samosa and nodded.

     "This is so good. Don't tell me you made it yourself." he complimented, taking a bite of the spring roll.

     "Well I did. I'm a really good cook, you know?" Hafsah joked.

     "I can see that." he replied, stuffing his face with even more.

     "Thanks a lot for the snacks." Haneed thanked her.

     "My pleasure." Hafsah replied.

     "I guess I have to visit more often because I can never get tired of your samosas." he said.

     "Ha ha, you have work Haneed." Hafsah told him.
"And who says I can't miss work? I will do anything just to eat your samosas." he laughed.

     "You're not serious." Hafsah laughed. Haneed looked at his watch and said, "I have to get going."

     "Alright, wait." Hafsah went into the kitchen and came out with a plastic wrap. "I packed some more for you to eat on your way."

"Thank you so much Hafsah." he said, collecting the snacks from her.

     She walked him to his car and wished him a safe journey.

     "I don't like that Haneed guy." Sameerah frowned as Hafsah entered the house.

     "Why?" Hafsah asked.

     "It was like...I was talking too much and he didn't want me there." Sameerah replied.

     "Oh! I don't think so. He's probably stressed about something." Hafsah defended.

     "I don't think so. He just doesn't like me." Sameerah huffed.

     "Sorry then, I'll talk to him about it." Hafsah said.

     "No don't, it's fine." Sameerah replied. Hafsah sighed and went into the kitchen to prepare noodles for them.

     "Hafsah? Your phone is ringing." Sameerah called out.

     Hafsah dried her hands and collected the phone from Sameerah.

     "Hello Zayden." she smiled. "Hey babe, I just got to Zaria. Are you home?" he asked her.

     "Uh- yeah. Why?" she asked. "I want to see you babe. It's been a month." he replied.

     "Okay, sure." she said. "Yeah, I'll be there soon." he said and hung up. Ten minutes later, he got to her apartment.

     He knocked on the door and Hafsah opened it, crushing him into a hug.

     "I missed you babe." Zayden said, ruffling her hair.

     "I missed you more Zayden." she said, letting him in.

     "Hey." Sameerah hollered. "Hey." Zayden smiled at her.

     "How was your trip?" Hafsah asked him. "Stressful." he yawned.

     "I just want to eat and go to sleep." he added.

     "I still have some samosas and spring rolls left, I'll get you some." Hafsah said and went to the kitchen to bring him some.

     "Yum. Who made this?" Zayden asked. "I did." Hafsah smiled.

     "They're so nice. When did you make them?" Zayden asked.

     "Not long ago, I had a guest." she replied.

     "Oh! Who?" he asked her, sipping his orange juice.

     "Haneed. He brought me back to school so I thought it would be nice if I made him something to eat." Hafsah said, stealing a samosa from Zayden's plate.

     He furrowed his brows. "And who is Haneed?" All the playfulness was gone from his tone.

     "My friend. I met him when I dropped my sister off at school." she replied.

     "Really? What did I tell you about wearing a niqab?" he asked, trying not to yell.

     "You don't expect me to wear a niqab every time Zayden." Hafsah huffed in annoyance.

     "Of course, don't." he said.

     "There's nothing between us if that's what you're thinking." Hafsah said softly.

     "I didn't say there was anything." Zayden replied.

     "I'm sorry babe, don't be mad at me." Hafsah said, resting her head on his shoulder.

     He held her and kissed her forehead. "I can never be mad at you babe." he smiled, although it didn't reach his eyes.